Final Rank: 122
I did a simple iterative approach to making a bot. I added new abilities, did regression against my bots, ran on Dhartmei, etc. I did TDD calculation related logic and some complicated list/collection methods. I discuss my bot in more depth in my post mortem.
My bot played out the current state of the board to determine the known future, and only did attacks using a single source planet per turn (no coordinated multi-planet attack).
The bot that I ended up submitting was the final version of what was really meant to be a good test bot which was left largely unchanged for the last month of the contest. I started down a path of rewriting my bot so that I could have better modelling around creating future state of an entire Universe and to add in a Reservation system for coordinated multi-planet attacks. The rewrite never reached a point where it was better than the test bot (though very close, likely would have been in the top 200). This was especially unfortunate because when the map generator changed, my test bot dropped from the 50s and 60s to about 150, but I continued to invest my time in the rewrite.
Overall, this was a great competition. I look forward to the next one.
Statistics: Posted by ludakris — Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:38 pm