[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Reduced board sizes

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:15 am Advanced search

Reduced board sizes

Random stuff about the contest, posts that don't fit in the other forums.

Reduced board sizes

Postby thisismyrobot » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:20 am

The bot I submitted was state-less and based on the sort of tactics that I would use playing Tron.

This worked really really well on the large maps as my challenger would be still building a game tree whilst I was blocking them off. These tactics allowed me to peak as high as 10th overall.

Then, as the map sizes got reduced, I lost more and more as my challengers would have filled out their tree before I got close to a winning position.

Wouldn't it have been better to stick with larger board sizes so that competitors could be graded on how well they handle imperfect information. Otherwise, it seems that the solution to the game is based on the level of available resources (for the problem size), not clever, innovative and possibly new solutions. This could have possibly been achieved by reducing the available time per move, increasing the board size or dividing the Elo rating by the average time taken per move.

Anyway, I'd be really interested in other people's thoughts on this, please feel free to agree or disagree vigorously :)
thisismyrobot
Cadet

Re: Reduced board sizes

Postby amstan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:09 am

I'm sorry about that. I wanted bigger maps as well(I have used 100x50 maps in those youtube videos).

Problem with bigger maps is the amount of time that games take. The maps that we used took 2 minutes on average to fill(17x17 average), if we would of doubled the size(to let's say 35x35) we would of got 8 minutes per game, which was not acceptable.
Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Postby thisismyrobot » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:41 am

Hey amstan,

Thank you for your reply, I certainly understand the catch-22 you were faced with - it must have been hard trying to juggle the practicalities of having 800 competitors with the need to return results within two months of Friday night...

Anyway, you guys hosted a great contest, thank you :)
thisismyrobot
Cadet

Postby Fritzlein » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:36 pm

Fritzlein
Colonel

Postby thisismyrobot » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:15 pm

Hey Fritzlein,

Thanks for the honest feedback, this has to be the first forum I've actually enjoyed posting on (No childish off-topic rubbish) :)

I guess it is really "put your money where your mouth is" time, so where do I go for wtarle's ongoing contest? I searched the boards for the username and only found your mention here and as the author of a deleted post.
thisismyrobot
Cadet

Postby Fritzlein » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Fritzlein
Colonel

Return to Misc