[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Proposal for Lua starter kit

It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:36 am Advanced search

Proposal for Lua starter kit

Random stuff about the contest, posts that don't fit in the other forums.

Proposal for Lua starter kit

Postby pekkakarj » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:31 pm

Last edited by pekkakarj on Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
pekkakarj
Cadet

Re: Proposal for Lua starter kit

Postby mspang » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:41 am

LuaJIT does not appear to run natively on 64-bit machines. That is a show-stopper I'm afraid.
mspang
Colonel

Postby pekkakarj » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:37 am

I think the plain old Lua byte-code VM runs on most 64-bit platforms. I've certainly seen reports of people using it. It's available from http://www.lua.org/ and I would appreciate it if you looked at the possibility of using it here.

I admit there is a non-zero chance I'll switch to a compiled language if I have the time to rewrite my little bot-to-be before the deadline. But using Lua to prototype it would be great.
pekkakarj
Cadet

Postby ebrahim » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:29 pm

I believe Lua deserves to be supported. Specially because it is a popular and fast game-scripting language.
There is no need to run it on LuaJIT, as the original Lua interpreter is so fast (arguably faster than original Python and Ruby interpreters which you're using currently.) However there should be no problem with running 32-bit LuaJIT on 64-bit kernel. (I've done it and it was extremely easy.) Just make sure you've got 32-bit libc installed, and the default of supporting IA-32 binaries in kernel is not disabled. Then compile it with -m32 argument of gcc.
ebrahim
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby mspang » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:43 am

I've posted this.
mspang
Colonel

Postby pekkakarj » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:53 am

Thank you mspang! It seems I was too late in making a little cosmetic change into the code, but that shouldn't matter. The version I posted earlier works just fine based on my extensive testing, and other people who might use Lua can and will change the code to their liking anyway. My original posting above now has the edited version of the code, but I am not asking you to replace it in the download page package at this time.

I'm off to sign in and try Lua now. I'm glad you added it.
pekkakarj
Cadet

Postby pekkakarj » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:08 am

pekkakarj
Cadet

Postby mspang » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:44 am

The submission system is racy fortunately; just resubmitting usually works.
mspang
Colonel

Return to Misc