[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Genetic Programming

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:53 am Advanced search

Genetic Programming

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Genetic Programming

Postby fireduck » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:24 pm

Anyone here doing genetic programming or other machine learning techniques?

I've adapted a GP library I was using in another project and have it crunching on this. I just got all the components flowing last night so it hasn't come up with much yet. Right now I am running 4 EC2 extra larges for computer power.

The best my solution does is send a stream of threes to one planet, sometimes. Certainly not impressive now but I have high hopes for it in a few weeks.
fireduck
Lieutenant

Re: Genetic Programming

Postby cobracom » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:56 pm

I've been playing in the last couple of days with genetic algorithms, with some mixed results.
Although I've seen huge improvement compared to the first generations, my bots still don't compete that well with DuelBot (winning only on few boards).
In my opinion, there are two big issues with GP, GA, NN (and similar approaches), which may lead me to abandon that path:
1. You can't debug it. Your bot may do very stupid things in combat, and you can only hope it will evolve out of it.
2. You can't train it against bots of other players.
cobracom
Lieutenant

Postby amstan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:13 pm

Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Postby fireduck » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:20 pm

In regard to the debugging, to debug something I'd have to understand it and follow the code. To me the entire point of GP is that I want to be lazy and not have to figure that out. So yeah, it can not be debugged except to do more evolving. But I do not want to do debugging so that is fine.

The point about other players is a concern. We shall see what happens.
fireduck
Lieutenant

Postby Maxime81 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:32 am

I have never use genetic programming (only practiced a little with genetic algorithms like neural networks), but I am very interested in. Could you please give us more information about how are you programming a bot like that ? How many matches would you need to expect good results ?
Maxime81
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby rogerbraun » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:26 am

One approach I can imagine:

I have a method that computes the desirability of an enemy planet and attacks if the result is above a certain threshold. This method combines parameters like the distance, the number of ships available, the growth rate etc. It is not trivial to see which combination of the parameters multiplied by which factor gives the best results. You could use these factors as a kind of genome, start with a random population and let them play games against other bots. If they win faster than the last best bot, make them breed by adjusting the factors. Repeat.
rogerbraun
Cadet

Postby amstan » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:44 pm

I assume you're using neural networks for the main code. What inputs and outputs do you have?
Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Postby rcpinto » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:45 pm

rcpinto
Cadet

Postby matthias » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:27 pm

matthias
Cadet

Postby rogerbraun » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 pm

Your critique of the approach is spot-on. It was simply meant as a very simple example.
rogerbraun
Cadet

Next

Return to Strategy