[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Genetic Programming

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:47 pm Advanced search

Genetic Programming

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Re: Genetic Programming

Postby voidptr » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:19 pm

voidptr
Brigadier-General

Postby vwooja » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:27 pm

I'm rather skeptical of the GP approach for this problem. Simply using a representation (AI is all about how you represent the problem, remember) that *can* represent the problem isn't enough. I'd suggest using something much simpler than just an assembly. Make some assumptions like for each planet this decision process will run. Or even using the example bot, learn a better scoring function. This would cut down the amount of learning necessary by a huge degree. Just because you've got GP on your side doesn't mean you can stop thinking about the problem itself.

Restricting your representation also has the benefit of removing useless and hopelessly naive individuals from the population. Don't waste CPU cycles (or money) on these. Throw them away.

Just suggestions, mind you. I've used GP for my masters thesis and found that I had to simplify my work. (Even so far as to end up turning on problem from GP into a Genetic Algorithm problem, which was much simpler.)

*edit: Actually if that is your GP evolved solution, you're no doing too badly, but I'd still take this approach.
vwooja
Cadet

Postby fireduck » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:21 am

Yeah, that posted link is me but as I stated earlier in this thread that isn't my GP solution. That is something I just wrote up, a standard hand coded strategy.

voidptr,

The GP method and code is very similar to what I did in my image creation project, at http://1209k.com/nest/
I have the code up there and you can take a look at it if you are interested. My code thus far is certainly not good enough to be any sort of secret. I would publish it regularly but much of it is hacks of interest to no one and it has things like my mysql login information hard coded in.

vwooja,

You are right to be skeptical. Part of the experiment I want to do here is to see if I can just use GP as a giant club and let it churn without thinking too much about it. To me that sort of thing is what AI should be about. Of course it may be impossible or unfeasible. The general way I learn things goes like this:
Step 1) Try it myself
Step 2) Read about it and maybe learn why my solution did or didn't work
Step 3) Try it again with things learned from steps 1 and 2

I am on step 1. I find that giving something a good solid attempt makes later reading and learning much more valuable.
fireduck
Lieutenant

Postby Haznoth » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:26 pm

I decided this competition would be a nice opportunity to learn python and do something with neural networks. Both of which have been on my to-do list for quite a few years. My current bot consists of 6 small neural networks that handle all the decision making. I created a small library for creating the networks (loosely based on Neil Schemenauer's bpnn.py[1]) and a small library to combine them into genomes.

Surprisingly the hardest part has been figuring out a good fitness function to describe the performance of the different networks. Since the latest bot has actually won something[2] I consider my experiment to be a success. My current approach won't certainly win the contest, but it is still nice to see the little bots doing their thing. I'll continue to evolve the current networks offline, but if I get promising results I'll certainly look into playing in the tcp server to be able to train the bots on the fly.

[1]
[2] - \o/
Haznoth
Cadet

Postby voidptr » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:53 pm

voidptr
Brigadier-General

Postby P_Hansson » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:26 am

These are pretty interesting experiments, even though the resulting bots aren't competitive. :)
P_Hansson
Captain

Previous

Return to Strategy