[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - I spot a nice one!

It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:44 am Advanced search

I spot a nice one!

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

I spot a nice one!

Postby rangzen » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:44 am

Did you spot a nice replay? :o
An interesting strategy? :shock:

I start the topic with this one : http://ai-contest.com/visualizer.php?game_id=4811861
Clash of the titans with an exchange of the side!
rangzen
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: I spot a nice one!

Postby RebelXT » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:13 pm

nice game indeed! position swaps are so rare when bots play..

Finally top level bots are starting to play like humans play Galcon.
RebelXT
Colonel

Postby Evgenius » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:03 pm

Very interesting game, I also noticed it.

And since we are talking in Strategy forum, let's have a discussion. Do you think players were doing the right thing by waiting and saving ships? Do you think they were making the right moves when action started (around turn 56)?

As for me, I guess dmj111 could attack a 5-growth neutral planet with 90 ships in the right bottom corner (at least).
And when the action started, it's really hard to analyze anything, but let's look at how dmj111 plans an attack. There are two fronts: upper and lower. Dmj111 attacks small growth-1 planet with a large ships pack instead of neighbouring bigger planets. And then dmj111 instantly attacks all neighbors leaving them no time to plan defence. And on the upper front dmj111 concentrates power on the 4-growth planet just upper the center. After that also follows an immediate all-directions attack. I think it was a key to success.
Evgenius
Major

Postby dmj » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:07 pm

Evgenius,

I agree... my bot probably should have taken that neutral in the corner. My bot is overly conservative as far as neutrals go. If I figure that out, it will be the next iteration ;)

nice work starting the strategy discussion too!

Dave
dmj
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby RebelXT » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:32 pm

I also tried to analyze this game.

McLeopold's bot was ahead both on production and ship count until it launched attacks on 68 and 71 planets. I'm not sure what triggered McLeopold to attack 1-growth 71 planet since payback time is 71 turns, and it was not ahead by 71+ ships at the time. This gave dmj's bot a chance to attack and come back.

McLeopold should have won this game had he not over-expanded during turns 54-59, wasting too many ships, and also letting dmj steal the 45 neutral on the right.

dmj, you should stop tweaking your bot for a week or two to let us catch up! j/k, it's nice playing you, McLeopold and other powerhouses on the TCP server.

-rebelxt
RebelXT
Colonel

Postby rangzen » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:04 pm

rangzen
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby DanielVonFange » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:57 pm

Heavy attacks allow you to immediately continue the attack onto nearby less defended planets. Currently bots don't defend well against this.
DanielVonFange
Brigadier-General

Postby RebelXT » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:07 pm

RebelXT
Colonel

Postby dmj » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:08 pm

dmj
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby McLeopold » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:12 pm

My bot tried to bite off more than it could chew. It was attacking the enemy and expanding at the same time, which wasn't the best thing. When the action starts, dmj moves a large fleet up north to his own planet, possibly for better positioning? The key is that dmj's fleets choose short destinations and mine choose long destinations. That gives dmj much better reaction time to take enough growth away from me and turn the tables.

My bot is now getting it's butt kicked, which I think proves fast growth is only one part of a good bot now. (And foo on anyone who thinks "number of turns code" is good strategy.)

Here is another great side swapping game.
http://ai-contest.com/visualizer.php?game_id=4796346
McLeopold
Contest Organizer

Next

Return to Strategy