[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - How to handle close starting positions.

It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:41 pm Advanced search

How to handle close starting positions.

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Re: How to handle close starting positions.

Postby RebelXT » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks for some good visual hints! I've been struggling with this issue exactly. Hard-coding a smart limit on initial expansion on first turn is the way to go.
RebelXT
Colonel

Postby rangzen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:42 pm

I tried to "simply" waiting for a round and I lost a lot of games cause firsts rounds seems really important
rangzen
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Evgenius » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:09 pm

As for me, I didn't need to hardcode anything. I just added a rule: if I have only one fiver and it makes N% of my total production (25% or 50%), then do extensive defence, which means defend this planet making the assumption that your enemy can send all fleets to you at the current turn. This tactics works almost perfectly at the beginning of a match, allowing you to attack neutrals from the first turn. But it needs to be switched off at the middle and the end of a game, so bot doesn't become overprotective (it assumes all enemy planets will send all ships to attack your planet).
Evgenius
Major

Postby felixcoto » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:38 pm

Well :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
The last combat was with the previous version. I expect the actual version makes different moves...
felixcoto
Cadet

Postby athena » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:54 pm

Very interesting opening gambits. I assume that in all of the scenarios (especially the ones where the opponents wait for you to make the first move) your base is guarded against an all out attack on your starting planet?
athena
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby McLeopold » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:22 pm

McLeopold
Contest Organizer

Postby bhasker » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:59 pm

just to add, best thing i have found for close starting positions

shipsAvailableToSend = dist_to_enemy_start*start_planet.GrowthRate()

That way if the enemy sends all his ships at you , you still keep control. The part i usually get wrong
is I end up picking bad starting planets to hit:) or after i do expand my bot gets a bit aggressive and loses the
start planet:-\.
bhasker
Lieutenant

Postby iouri_ » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:04 pm

I think the best solution for this (as well as for the problem of the bot sending one of the initial fleets to one of the attractive neutral planets right next to the opponent) is to be able to consider opponent's counter-moves to your moves; then excluding the unnecessarily risky moves would be easy (this would also fix some other silly mistakes that my bot makes). Unfortunately I haven't been able to come up with a good way to do it that doesn't require more calculations than one can fit in a second.
iouri_
Brigadier-General

Postby temp_dummy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:37 pm

Consider two bots that are playing the very close starting position ( 4 moves or less) to perfection.

Any bot that will make the first move will be at a disadvantage, because that bot will lose some ships on conquering the neutral planet.
The second bot then can use less ships to counter attack the (now no longer) neutral AND attack the home base.

If both bots know this, they will both not make the first move, which results in:
Very close starting position maps will end in a draw.
(seen this happen)

Unless there is a neutral planet nearby that has a growth rate of 5 and and defence of less than "enemy distance" times "home planet growth rate".
Pretty exceptional requirements in order to get any use out of a "very close starting position" map.

I would propose to exclude these maps from the competition because a match between two good bots on them is just boring.
temp_dummy
Colonel

Next

Return to Strategy