[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - How to spend your first turn

It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:29 pm Advanced search

How to spend your first turn

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Re: How to spend your first turn

Postby 1pm7 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:27 pm

Binary knapsack is not the optimal solution. It would be if planets had no growth, however with growth your knapsack solution it is far from optimal.
1pm7
Cadet

Postby Innominate » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:04 pm

Innominate
Captain

Postby 1pm7 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:13 pm

1pm7
Cadet

Postby neurotik » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:11 pm

neurotik
Cadet

Postby 1pm7 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:04 pm

1pm7
Cadet

Postby voidptr » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:00 pm

voidptr
Brigadier-General

Postby neurotik » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:54 pm

neurotik
Cadet

Postby Innominate » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:00 pm

Sorry, I assumed that people were using the metric outlined in the very first post: maximising the total growth-rate gained. The binary knapsack solution is not optimal in a "perfect algorithm win the challenge with no problems sense", but it is optimal in the metric you provide (as has been pointed out).

I'm currently not using the exact algorithm outlined in the first post. In my method (which I'm currently only using for the turns while both players have only 1 planet, but may use more if I can generalise it), the metric I use is this: find the timing of investment of troops that minimises the number of ships spent capturing a given planet (i.e. the number of ships and the turns on which they are sent) assuming the enemy does not send any fleets during this time (yes, I'm going to change that to make predictions); the 'weight' of an action is the number of troops I would need to commit on this turn, plus the number I would need to keep in reserve so that I can go through with the investment strategy on later turns. I'm considering using a better metric for my "optimal investment timeline" function (something that gives a greater cost to ships invested earlier), but this method will find the best set of planets to take to maximise population growth - automatically handling "sniping", defence, and all that jazz.

In summary, the old computing adage is right (in this instance applied to the weight and value functions for the binary knapsack): Garbage In, Garbage Out. Your outcomes are only as good as your data.
Innominate
Captain

Postby iouri_ » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:41 pm

iouri_
Brigadier-General

Postby voidptr » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:09 pm

voidptr
Brigadier-General

PreviousNext

Return to Strategy