[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Catch-22

It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:04 am Advanced search

Catch-22

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Catch-22

Postby lavalamp » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:16 am

Take a glance at this game: http://72.44.46.68/canvas?game_id=476795

My bot (pwwax) does the math and decides that it can't take the large neutral with 90 ships because even if I send all my ships, if Monty does nothing on turn 1, on turn two he could send 105 ships to snipe the neutral, and I'd be 9 ships short defending it.

(Even if my bot's math is wrong--which I don't think it is--there are boards which would have this situation, so I won't go in to the details of the math)

Now, since I can't take that planet, I go for the inferior 2-growth neutral. But then monty goes after its corresponding large neutral, and I can't punish it because I did something with my ships.

I think I'm going to stop assuming that my opponent does nothing (so he wouldn't have the ships to snipe that). But this will leave me vulnerable to the few bots that actually *do* do nothing.

(EDIT: Actually, you sort of have to assume they do nothing on turn one or you can lose to RageBot...)

Summary:

If I take the large neutral, bots that do nothing on their first turn can snipe me.
If I don't take the large neutral, bots that do take it will have a large production advantage on me.

What do you all do about this??
lavalamp
Colonel

Re: Catch-22

Postby lesslucid » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:32 am

Surely if attacking the planet leaves you open to being sniped, then if they attack it, they leave themselves open to being sniped, so the best thing to do is wait and then snipe them if they go for it?
lesslucid
Lieutenant

Postby lavalamp » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:12 am

The problem is that waiting (i.e. doing nothing) is vastly inferior to doing something if they don't try to take the planet.
lavalamp
Colonel

Postby quasar » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:02 pm

It's kind of like rock-scissors-paper:

taking the large planet wins against taking the small one;
taking the small planet wins against waiting;
waiting wins against taking the large planet
quasar
Cadet

Postby Chelmolekula » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:23 pm