[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Representing fleets

It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:20 pm Advanced search

Representing fleets

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Representing fleets

Postby Migi32 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:30 pm

Migi32
Lieutenant

Re: Representing fleets

Postby mogron » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:38 pm

For a few strategies, SourcePlanet can be necessary to analyze the enemy's behaviour. I don't do that, but still need SourcePlanet in my simulator (I could work around this, but it would make it more complicated).
mogron
Lieutenant

Postby P_Hansson » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:36 pm

I use fleets at simulation stage (after parsing), then I drop them completely and only implicitly represent them through number of ships on each planet after combat stage for every turn. Of course, this means care must be taken when making calculations that need to know number of ships before combat.
P_Hansson
Captain

Postby mrflippy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:44 pm

SourcePlanet and totalTripLength could be useful for opponent behavior analysis: For example, if you keep track of their fleets and notice that they are sending a lot of fleets all the way across the map rather than supply chaining or something, you could implement different behavior.
mrflippy
Lieutenant

Postby P_Hansson » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Maybe... But you would have to give a better example to convince me - opponents sending fleets very far already is easy enough to deal with.
P_Hansson
Captain

Postby voidptr » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:46 pm

voidptr
Brigadier-General

Postby skalkin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:01 pm

skalkin
Lieutenant

Postby voidptr » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:03 pm

voidptr
Brigadier-General

Postby Migi32 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Migi32
Lieutenant

Postby Terr » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:50 pm

After procrastinating way too long (Curse you, Minecraft and TF2!) I've been working on a two-dimensional grid of space-time.

Each node in the grid represents a planet at a point in time, and among other variables contains the number of fleets arriving for each player. For a while I tried building a system where each fleet had space/time endpoints, but then I too realized I would probably have no time to make something fancy enough to use the data about source planets.

Each turn, whenever I see a "newly-launched" fleet, I find the node that represents the time and place the fleet will arrive in, and increment the value that corresponds for the player. This nicely merges a variety of fleets and reduces the "housekeeping" each turn, since I can ignore the predictable progress of "old" fleets.
Terr
Brigadier-General

Next

Return to Strategy