[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Representing fleets

It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:16 am Advanced search

Representing fleets

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Re: Representing fleets

Postby Demerzel » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:49 am

i like to do things the hard way (mine is all original code):

all fleets are only represented as an arrival turn total in a jagged array [planet][turn], mine and enemy i don't auto-add to pop on the off chance that i can use the data to my advantage in some way -- fleets never appear as fleets just totals although the guy who just applies them might have the right idea i'm trying to think why i don't just do that

i do have to keep track of how many fleets there are though by turn so i can skip parsing all but the newest fleets (already skipping planets obv) - but it doesn't matter whose they are, only a count in a 1D array [turn] gets ticked off and then i just sum anything after turn + 1 as 'still alive' and this is the number of lines i can skip - for enemies this is easy - new fleets get a count, for mine it means i have to hold back all orders until end of turn to make sure i don't count a same/orig dest as separate fleets - which can happen if my defense calls for something and then my distribution algorithm sends something too

that last part is the hardest part honestly - it requires a coordinated order buffer but it also let me funnel all my orders into a single place for error catching

but it's worth it to go from parsing 80 lines a turn to ignoring the first 76 completely instead of just the first 23, then half the ones i do parse i toss out if i get to char 6 or so and it's mine - a second seems like a lot more time when you're not chopping up strings for at least half of it
Demerzel
Colonel

Postby Migi32 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:43 pm

Migi32
Lieutenant

Postby Demerzel » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:44 am

Demerzel
Colonel

Postby P_Hansson » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:09 am

In the case of non-neutrals I consider whether the planet just changed owner or not.

In the case of neutrals, I always send enough ships to capture them so it's not an issue. If a neutral decreases in ships but isn't captured, I know it's the enemy that did it.

After all, why attack a neutral unless you have at least defenders + 1 ships? You only risk helping the opponent.
P_Hansson
Captain

Postby Demerzel » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:57 pm

Demerzel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Strategy