It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:00 am Advanced search

What code are we stickily allowed modified?

Code won't compile? Found a bug? Post here!

What code are we stickily allowed modified?

Postby wesley.olis » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:27 am

Hi,

I know that in the tutorials and comments they tell you that you should only modify mybot,doturn function.
But for instance if your using java or C I see the seperated the game logic from the bot.
Can we modified any of the code 'bot and game' as long as we abide by the game rules and don't create violations that would
cause a bot to be disqualified?

Would it be allowed to go and modified the Plants code ands structures to store additional information, about the planet
that we could use for our calculations and attack theory for instant I want add variable that indicates if the planet has change owner ships,
so i could short list the planets, things think that.
Or would we have to code our own class for that in the mybot file.

Are the planets data that is passed to a bot, always int the same order as the initial pass of data?
wesley.olis
Cadet

Re: What code are we stickily allowed modified?

Postby SamothRefoe » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:35 am

If you know what you're doing, feel free to go ahead with some changes, as long as you respect the contest rules.

The comment on the "Start your own bot" is mainly targeted at people with less or no experience in programming, who might end up irrevocably breaking their submission. At least that's how I understand it...
SamothRefoe
Captain

Postby Slin-.- » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:02 am

The "only modify doturn" is only a recommendation. You're allowed to change the code in the other places, for example adding stuff to Planet. The planets will always be passed to you in their id order which won't change in a game.
Slin-.-
Cadet

Postby wesley.olis » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:07 am

Thanx guys that is great to know, makes life much easyer.
wesley.olis
Cadet

Return to Technical Issues