[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Engine issues and desired clarifications

It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:49 am Advanced search

Engine issues and desired clarifications

Code won't compile? Found a bug? Post here!

Engine issues and desired clarifications

Postby antimatroid » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:28 am

Well I've been playing around with the c++ starter package for a few days, and I have a few clarifications I wouldn't mind on the parameters of the games and a few errors I have picked up so far with (I think) the actual game engine.

Desirable Clarifications:
1. All of the given sample maps appear to have 23 planets each, with each player only starting with one planet. Can we expect both players to always start with just one planet? and there to be only 23 planets? otherwise, a specified maximum on the number of planets would be good, so we could know how much information (roughly) our bots have to deal with in the worst case.

2. My test runs with the engine show that once it reaches the specified number of turns before calling it off, a winner is then declared if one of the players has a higher number of ships (including ships in existing fleets), otherwise it's a draw. Is this the case? I don't think it splits off anything else, am I right about that? Can we expect the engine for the competition to work as just described?

3. Do we get to know the number of turns being used in the competition before the game is called off? and is it going to be constant?

4.There is a possible exploit that I think people could use to cripple some bots, I debated with myself as to whether to keep this as private information, but I don't think it's a very fun advantage. Basically, at the moment, say you want to send 10 ships from Pi to Pj, then you can do this as 10 different fleets, you could potentially end up sending off thousands of individual fleets. I've personally been able to set my stuff up such that this wont cause too much significant overhead, but I could see how it could potentially cripple bots dependent on the approach they took for deciding what actions to make. I'll let you guys decide whether that's fair game or if you want to restrict the number of fleets from one planet to another in a single move.

Errors:
1. Not a major error, but, the engine seems to run an extra turn than the number specified with the input parameter (or is that intended?), additionally, the game displayed at the end doesn't seem to show round zero, I personally think it would make some sense for it to include that.

2. If both bots try to send illegal fleets during the last allowed move of the game, the engine seems to asplode and do turns indefinitely.

3. I'm pretty sure this has been stated elsewhere, but neutral planets take 2 ships to go past 0 and into ownership of the incoming fleet.
antimatroid
Brigadier-General

Re: Engine issues and desired clarifications

Postby amstan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:10 am

4. I think this should be fixed in the engine level: if it notices 2 or more groups of ships heading for the same planet, to merge them before sending this info to the other player.
Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Re: Engine issues and desired clarifications

Postby bswolf » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:56 am

bswolf
Lieutenant

Return to Technical Issues