[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - [New Language]Clojure Starter Package

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:33 pm Advanced search

[New Language]Clojure Starter Package

Code won't compile? Found a bug? Post here!

Re: Clojure Starter Package

Postby Candid » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:42 pm

Candid
Cadet

Re: [New Language]Clojure Starter Package

Postby Queue29 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:59 pm

This contest already provides for 3 seconds on the first turn.
Queue29
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Candid » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:05 am

Great! Thank you.
Candid
Cadet

Postby spotter » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:20 pm

Hi guys, are you still involved? Is there a chance we can get Clojure support in the competition?
spotter
Cadet

Postby TheNinthWave » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi All --

I too would like to use Clojure but my concern is that since we are not permitted to use multiple threads (or any kind of concurrency -- plz correct me if I am wrong) then Clojure, by its very design, will add overhead that may significantly penalize a player given the one second turn time limit. I'm referring primarily to the persistent data structures. If you decide to use native Java data structures then why not just use Java and skip the interop layer.

Any thoughts?
TheNinthWave
Cadet

Postby spotter » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:01 pm

Well I myself want to use Clojure just for the sake of trying Functional Lisp in this challenge. If I was concerned about speed I'd go with C++, if I wanted familiarity I'd pick Python. This is more of a learning exercise slash adventure. ;-)

I don't think that using Clojure data structures will give this much overhead, although I have not benchmarked anything yet.

Anyway -- like ihodes and a_babo -- I think about AOT compiled version, using Leiningen, but we need to see if admins agree to do it like that. In this case only fixed thing needed would be a correct MyBot.clj and project.clj -- similar to what a_babo has in his repo -- making MyBot.jar uberjar target. It would really help to have anybody respond in this thread. Admins or devs.
spotter
Cadet

Postby ihodes » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:24 pm

What's in my repo now (and what's been there a while now) is a a complete and idiomatic starter pack including a correct bot and project specifications. You just need to follow the readme, which essentially means you just need to run lein uberjar for an AOT'd jar.

I'm still waiting on the admin to let me/us know if we can use Clojure.

Using Clojure, especially if you pay attention to performance, shouldn't be any slower than Java (aside from the startup time, maybe), and may even be faster than Java depending on your algorithmic complexity. It could also be faster than C++, as Java often does get faster than C++ due to Hotspot and other JVM sexiness.

Regardless, I'm a little bummed to not have heard anything about new languages yet.
ihodes
Lieutenant

Postby agravier » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:05 am

agravier
Cadet

Postby agravier » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:08 pm

I would like to as the dev team if they confirm that there is no hope for a Clojure SP, to ensure that I have no reason to finish my submission on time. If there could be a Clojure package, it's great and will further motivate me to work on a submission. If not it's ok, I'll still code at my own pace and play locally.
agravier
Cadet

Previous

Return to Technical Issues