It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:54 pm Advanced search

Proposal: Make max number of turns part of the specification

Code won't compile? Found a bug? Post here!

Proposal: Make max number of turns part of the specification

Postby jmcarthur » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:17 pm

There is a maximum turn count on the server. I would like for this number to be made a part of the game specification so that our bots can rely on knowing it.
jmcarthur
Colonel

Re: Proposal: Make max number of turns part of the specifica

Postby a1k0n » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Agreed. If the goal is actually to have the most ships in 100 turns, it may fundamentally change the best strategy over one which seeks to eliminate the opponent entirely.
a1k0n
Colonel

Postby jmcarthur » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:29 pm

I wanted to avoid bikeshedding, but I think it's important enough to at least bring it up here. 100 turns seems to me to be too low. It rules out a lot of interesting strategies. Even from the point of view of taking load off the server, I think I could make a point that increasing this number will not necessarily linearly increase the server load. A longer time limit will encourage strategies that finish their opponents off more quickly rather than simply increasing their army size more quickly.

So I would like to also propose that we increase the number and make the number part of the spec.
jmcarthur
Colonel

Postby mistabell » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:48 pm

I agree that 100 is too low of a number. Except, I wouldn't mind a random number of turns between 500-1000 instead of a fixed low number. It's more important to me that there are a larger number of turns than a fixed number of turns.
mistabell
Cadet

Return to Technical Issues