There are a bunch of bugs in both of the starter packs that have been released so far (and it's kind of hard to tell which one you already have). Most of the known bugs in the engine and visualizer have been fixed, but the updated starter packs haven't been released yet (there are several other pending issues, notably getting everyone's games to run and keeping the site up).
So I have just updated these:http://a1k0n.net/temp/PlayGame-1.2.jarhttp://a1k0n.net/temp/ShowGame-1.2.jar
Bugs fixed by this release:
- Fleets randomly disappear right before capturing a planet
- When fleets from both players land on a neutral simultaneously, the resolution was inconsistent and wrong. This has been corrected according to the rules set forth in some other threads on the msgboard here, and will also be described in detail on the wiki.
- ShowGame.jar takes forever to load games of any reasonable length
- stderr from each bot is swallowed by PlayGame; now it is output to PlayGame's stderr, prefixed with "Player <n>: <stderr line>"
- If the locale was one in which , and . are used differently than they are in the US, PlayGame would fail to parse the maps
- Windows line-endings would break PlayGame
- PlayGame runs much more slowly than it should (several un-optimizations were removed)
- 0-growth planets show up with 0-size circles, which is very confusing.
Try them, see if they fix your problem.
I believe the plan at this point is to release a set of starter packs at version 1.2, and they will almost certainly contain the above two jars unless any other bugs get fixed before the release.