[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - GameEngine/Viewer/Replay/Human/TCP in one. [updated]

It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:58 am Advanced search

GameEngine/Viewer/Replay/Human/TCP in one. [updated]

Code won't compile? Found a bug? Post here!

Re: GameEngine/Viewer/Replay/Human/TCP in one. (java)

Postby eburnette » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:34 pm

Very nice, but I find it hard to select a planet in the Human tab. Sometimes I have to click on it several times. Can you make the hit box larger or something?

Clicking on a friendly planet, dragging, and letting go on second planet should launch ships from the first planet to the second planet.

Clicking on a friendly planet, dragging over a second friendly planet (or a third, or ...) and then letting go on a final planet should launch ships from all the planets touched to the last planet.

Also I'd like to be able to double-click on an enemy planet and have something interesting happen, like 'attack this planet with 50% of all forces'. GalCon has something similar.

These changes would make interactive play possible.
eburnette
Captain

Postby delt0r » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:35 am

Interesting ideas. I didn't really bother much with the interface since it was really for debug. I don't really like drag gestures the way you suggested. I would expect a drag to give me a select box.

This is how the flash galcon i played worked. 1 click to selected. 2 clicks to selected all, click on anything else, 50% of all selected fleets are sent.

At anyrate, i won't be able to add this till at least the weekend.
It was like that when I got here.
delt0r
Colonel

Postby delt0r » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:33 pm

So an update with almost all requested new features and some bug fixes. It will now no longer barf when you click on the fforward buttons before you press play. Some keyboard focus issues have also been fixed. The map combo boxes are now have the current dir in them for easier map selection. Look and Feel should now be set on windows.

Human interface
eburnette ideas have been added and work quite well. It was also easier to code than a selection box. This means that dragging the mouse will add any of your planets to the current selection. Releasing the mouse over a planet, becomes the target planet for fleets. Additionally, clicking a selected planet will selected all planets, and clicking again will deselected all but the one you clicked. Holding shift toggles the planet in and out of selection. Now space bar also works to skip turns. I have also added a "send ratio" widget up the top.

I cannot see any problems with the network code. Sorry. Or the "click" areas for the human interface. Perhaps the focus issues have fixed this?

Don't forget that some browsers cache download links and won't download the new version. Check that you really do download the latest.

Despite this quiet thread, quite a few folks are downloading this. I hope its useful, and remember i am in the IRC channel for more immediate help (CET time zone).

edit to fix drag behavior description.
Last edited by delt0r on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
delt0r
Colonel

Postby gscshoyru » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:00 am

There's a bit of a bug when using this, at least if you use perl to write your code. For whatever reason, the program doesn't kill the perl process when it's done, or even if I exit from the program. I had to kill the 15 or so processes from the 15 or so games by hand. Could you fix this, please?
gscshoyru
Cadet

Postby aerique » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:17 am

Thanks again for this utility, delt0r. It's my primary way to view battles and check replays.
aerique
Brigadier-General

Re: GameEngine/Viewer/Replay/Human/TCP in one. [updated]

Postby delt0r » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:38 am

There was big bug i missed in the human player code. Its now fixed.

@gscshoyru
I can't duplicate the bug regardless what the bots use. Perl is terminating fine. I have added some extra checks, perhaps it helps. The process are getting sent a terminate signal at the least, and should be getting a kill. Perhaps the perl forks or something? If you are still having problems, can you let me know more details. (which tab, what perl bot etc.)

PS. Don't forget the source is included in the jar.
delt0r
Colonel

Postby eburnette » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:19 pm

Awesome! My son and I had a ball last night playing against my bots. Finally I might be able to get him interested in programming. I have a few more suggestions if you'd like to hear them.

Probably the most important thing Human mode needs is a Stop button. Sometimes my bot is not working right and refuses to attack or only plays for a draw. A Save button would be nice too, like you have in the Combat and TCP windows.

If you could provide another kind of feedback, like an XOR line between attackers and attackees as you move the mouse around, that would be appreciated. The current selections are kind of subtle so this would help with getting attacks to go where we intend.

The light green-on-gray numbers in the top window (where the graph is) are hard to read. A darker green or a lighter background would work.

Speaking of colors, I'm not colorblind but for those that are, the green and red colors should be changed. Maybe blue and red, like US election results?

In TCP mode, can you make it so we can see the name of the opponent, our current ranks, and the map name? All that is in the first few lines received from the TCP server.

Also I'd like a way to capture my bot's stdout and stderr, perhaps in some kind of console. Especially in TCP mode but this would also be handy in Human and Combat mode too.

Finally, kind of a frivolous request: to make it even more fun add sound effects (especially on win or lose), and something visual on win or lose (but not a dialog I have to click). Even something simple like a "Human/Botname WINS!" drawn in the middle of the chart area would be fine.
eburnette
Captain

Postby delt0r » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:27 pm

delt0r
Colonel

Postby eburnette » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:08 pm

Regarding the lines, what I mean is, you know how when you start an attack you see lines going from all the source planets to the target planet?

botlines.png
botlines.png (17.51 KiB) Viewed 1150 times

I just want to see those earlier, while I'm moving the mouse around trying to select the right planet to attack. I just mentioned XOR because one way to draw lines and then erase them quickly without redrawing the dirty rectangle is to draw them in XOR mode.
eburnette
Captain

Postby eburnette » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:39 pm

Attached is a patch to your program to show the bot names and ratings, and to make the graph at the top more readable by using darker colors and thicker lines.
darker.png
Screen shot of patch in action
darker.png (7.49 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
Attachments
JBotManagerPatch.zip
Patch to JBotManager source
(2.77 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
eburnette
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Issues