[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Less games for all bots. Is it problem on server?

It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:22 pm Advanced search

Less games for all bots. Is it problem on server?

Code won't compile? Found a bug? Post here!

Re: Less games for all bots. Is it problem on server?

Postby P_Hansson » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:18 pm

I haven't had a fully updated ranking since Saturday due to how my stat resets on uploads interlaced with server slowless. :oops:
P_Hansson
Captain

Postby qotile » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:02 pm

They've got the EC2 pricing system where they only take servers if they're below a certain price. So sometimes there's no server space available at that price and we get no games played. So yes, the issue is cost.
qotile
Cadet

Postby dizzybot » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:58 pm

If cost is the issue, the organizers should create a PayPal account and accept contributions from the community. I would give 10 bucks.

I love the idea behind this contest, but the execution and the organizing have not been great so far.
dizzybot
Cadet

Postby RebelXT » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:14 pm

i would also donate to keep the servers running if that's the case... i sure hope organizers still have motivation to keep this fun challenge going.
RebelXT
Colonel

Postby mrflippy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:34 pm

You'd think Google could provide a server or something. Isn't that the sort of thing sponsors are supposed to do?
mrflippy
Lieutenant

Postby voidptr » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:23 pm

voidptr
Brigadier-General

Postby P_Hansson » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Having only 1 slow server isn't really working, particularly with stat resets... But the employees on Google who participate should notice (I'd hope).

As for Google branding the contest, I still think it's an advantage in that it attracts participants. I know I would've been less likely to check out a "University of Waterloo AI Challenge" than "Google AI Challenge". On the other hand, attracting a number of participants that you don't have enough servers to support is not an advantage.

Edit: I'd donate as well if there was such an option (not that I'm very wealthy as a student...)
P_Hansson
Captain

Postby luismi » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:39 pm

+1 to donate but i think that google must provide some resources... they're more than 3k people participating thinking that this was a serious contest
luismi
Lieutenant

Postby RebelXT » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:41 pm

Google's name on the front page definitely attracted a lot of people. It's a good thing.

FAQ seems to indicate that Google is not helping UW with operating costs. If any Google employee is reading this, /hint ;-)
RebelXT
Colonel

Postby fglider » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:24 am

Probably, nothing short of nuclear option will move them.
So, OK here IS the nuclear option:

www.bing.com :)
fglider
Cadet

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Issues