[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Any ideas how to make ranking less random?

It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:39 am Advanced search

Any ideas how to make ranking less random?

Random stuff about the contest, posts that don't fit in the other forums.

Re: Any ideas how to make ranking less random?

Postby krokkrok » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:12 pm

krokkrok
Major

Postby Mistmanov » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:37 am

Mistmanov
Colonel

Postby Astek » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:29 pm

Maybe this will be interesting information so here it is:

Last day of conquest I made few experiments on test server. I was looking for best way to refine parameters. Final effect of one of the tests was very disappointing for me. I wanted to make sure how random are Elo rankings on test server. So I did run 4 copies of SAME bot in parallel. After few hours (2-3) this 4 bots ranking was very strange: 3, 17, 33 and 70!!! Conclusion was clear: few hours of testing was not enough and results was almost random (most important was effect of first few fights), so I stopped using dhartmei server in this case.

Hoverer at the finals each of top 1000 bots made more than 500 games, so its rather hard to compare my results from test server with results of finals. There is few ways to find the answer on the question "How random rankings may be?". One of them is to simulate finals again using same maps and compare final ranks. Maybe additionally make few copies of some bots and check how far they will be ranked from each other.

I am not saying that finals was random, I am convinced that there will be same winner again. I am treating this as interesting academic problem of Elo score effectiveness in semi random games like this one.

Lets point out which rules are making this game random:
- generating random maps for finals (different set of maps will generate different rankings)
- random picking opponents (some bots plays better against others)
- randomizing map selection (bots are optimized for specific maps, some plays great when starting distance is high, some other has great strategies for close combat maps etc)

Regardless of how random the results are I think that Elo score was very useful and fulfilled its role.
Astek
Captain

Postby amstan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:30 pm

Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Previous

Return to Misc