[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Reviving Planet Wars

It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:14 am Advanced search

Reviving Planet Wars

Random stuff about the contest, posts that don't fit in the other forums.

Reviving Planet Wars

Postby tinny » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:52 am

Hi,

I would like to see the Planet Wars AI challenge continue by setting up my own servers.

My goal is to create a permanent server where people can run their bots against each other and view games on canvas.

Is it possible for me to take over this project?

If so, I have a Linode server I can use to host.

Any help to get this started again would be much appreciated!
tinny
Cadet

Re: Reviving Planet Wars

Postby MagnumPU » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:16 am

Tinny, I think there's a TCP server running, have you seen post?
MagnumPU
Captain

Postby tinny » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:20 am

Thanks a lot for that!

Good to see it's still active.

Is there any info out there on setting up your own TCP server?
tinny
Cadet

Postby smiley1983 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:58 am

Here are some instructions for the setup:

First, clone or download the whole repository:

wget https://github.com/smiley1983/ants-tcp/archive/master.zip

or

git clone https://github.com/smiley1983/ants-tcp.git

In planetwars/planetwars_tcp there are two scripts, webserver.py and tcpserver.py - currently they are set to open ports 2090 and 2091 respectively. Change these to whichever ports you want.

Then run them both as a normal user with something like this:

nohup ./webserver.py> webserver.nohup &
nohup ./tcpserver.py> tcpserver.nohup &

Using nohup means that you can log out of the ssh session without the scripts dying.

You can redirect port 80 to whichever port you chose for the webserver if you prefer. I use this line, to be run on boot:

sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 2090

It's possible to run multiple servers on one machine, connecting to different ports as I have done here:

http://li414-97.members.linode.com/home

To create that front page and link all of the servers back to it, I have done some ugly context-specific editing of all the webserver.py files, not published on github. A better solution is not too difficult I'm sure, but I'm working on other things for now.
smiley1983
Colonel

Return to Misc