[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Easier or harder than Tron?

It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:07 pm Advanced search

Easier or harder than Tron?

Random stuff about the contest, posts that don't fit in the other forums.

Easier or harder than Tron?

Postby smhanov » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:22 am

I didn't participate in the Tron challenge. But my first instinct is that this challenge is harder. Whereas the tron challenge had (I think) three choices per turn, left, right, or keep going, this one has O(planets^2), so we need different techniques.

What do you think? Easier, or Harder?
smhanov
Cadet

Re: Easier or harder than Tron?

Postby Mathnerd314 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:55 am

My hope is that this one will need some cunning, instead of doing brute-force search like Tron. So, easier for intellectuals (like me), harder for people who care about speed.
Mathnerd314
Lieutenant

Postby jeff.cameron » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:59 am

I think that Planet Wars is going to turn out to be a much deeper problem than Tron.

During the Tron contest, the top-ranked players were all using variants of the same basic strategy: minimax search. Since Planet Wars cannot be easily tackled using minimax, I think we're going to see a great variety of very interesting strategies. My hope is that there is no obvious optimal approach to solving this problem, and that we will see radically new ideas upsetting the top of the leaderboard every few days.
jeff.cameron
Contest Organizer

Postby Fritzlein » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:16 pm

Fritzlein
Colonel

Postby Queue29 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:26 pm

Queue29
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Janzert » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:23 pm

I doubt there will be as many draws since it seems much harder to produce one. Assuming well behaved bots, the only draw is for both players to have the same number of ships at the move limit of the game for a draw.

Janzert
Janzert
Contest Organizer

Postby voidptr » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:11 am

voidptr
Brigadier-General

Postby Terr » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:31 pm

I didn't participate in the Tron stuff, but from the amount of wiffle-waffling I've been doing trying to develop I'm going to guess significantly harder. You have a crapload of possible moves.

Suppose a very simple universe of 5 planets, of which you own one with 20 ships. You can send all 20 to one planet, send them all "to yourself" (no move), send 5 to each enemy planet, or pretty much any combination. I don't want to bother with the math, but it should be obvious that the number of possibilities per turn is ridiculously large.

Either you need to reduce the number of moves to something manageable by eliminating "stupid moves", or else you need to go to something with vaguer heuristics.
Terr
Brigadier-General

Postby jmcarthur » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:24 pm

jmcarthur
Colonel

Postby Terr » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:31 pm

Terr
Brigadier-General

Next

Return to Misc