[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Legal/Copyright?

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:12 am Advanced search

Legal/Copyright?

Random stuff about the contest, posts that don't fit in the other forums.

Legal/Copyright?

Postby Terr » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:11 am

I know most of the stuff being used is open-sourced, but I just realized that the main website is missing a piece of standard boilerplate: The legal stuff about what rights you grant (or not) when it comes to submitted material, source code, etc.
Terr
Brigadier-General

Re: Legal/Copyright?

Postby DanielVonFange » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:34 pm

I've sent this to Jeff, the head honcho.
DanielVonFange
Brigadier-General

Postby jeff.cameron » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:16 am

I have thought about this a bit before. Keep in mind that I am not a lawyer.

My understanding is that in the absence of an agreement that states otherwise, if you produce a work then you also implicitly own the copyright to that work. So contestants implicitly own the copyright to their own source code. This means that the contest staff are not allowed to publish the contestants' submitted source code. Since I am fine with that the way it is, I saw no need to make people sign away their rights.

Maybe somebody knows a high-flying IP lawyer who can comment on this issue. I find that taking legal advice from random people on the internet is a really bad idea. Since I am myself a random person from the internet, I try to abstain from expressing legal opinions as well.
jeff.cameron
Contest Organizer

Postby amstan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:26 am

Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Postby Terr » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:59 am

I just want to be clear that I'm not particularly concerned--I doubt I'll make any groundbreaking stuff even if I finally get my bot ready--but that it's a point of ambiguity and some folks might get pretty annoyed if their AI is, say, copied into somebody's iPhone app.
Terr
Brigadier-General

Return to Misc