[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Warlight - like Risk; planetwars on a graph; fog

It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:45 pm Advanced search

Warlight - like Risk; planetwars on a graph; fog

Ideas for the Future

Warlight - like Risk; planetwars on a graph; fog

Postby mkny » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:50 pm

Hey,

I know it's a bit late to suggest something for the next iteration, but I came across warlight.net and would love to see something like that in a forthcoming contest.

I've pretty much summed it up in the title... I recommend having a little play of the single player, it's good fun
- it's similar to Risk(TM)
- all players make a series of orders simultaneously, then all those orders play out in sequence. So simultaneous turns rather than a rotation.
- you move armies around on an undirected graph and try to occupy the nodes (territories)
- you get more troops by owning blocks of territories (such as 'Europe'), and can choose where (of your currently occupied territories) to deploy them
- fog of war : you can only observe movements to/from your own or adjacent territories (most common kind of fog)
- combat is probabilistic. You need to send approx 2x attackers for a ~100% chance of winning. Underlying that are probabilistic troop losses, you need to reduce the defending armies to 0 to win

Downsides:
- You do have to pay to access certain features (e.g. the ability to play with more than 5 other players)
- I believe the front-end is currently built in flash
- it's proprietary (but then, of course, so are Risk, Diplomacy, Tron.. even planetwars was)
- we would be advised to get in contact with the creator for the following reasons:
1) I'm not sure they would welcome the publication of very strong AIs if it would in any way facilitate cheating on his site. So maybe we should tweak the game somewhat?
2) it would be proper
3) other
- another idea about, what was it, planetwars on a graph (antimatroid's plan, I think) was accused of being too similar to planetwars.

I don't believe any of these are serious impediments to using it or a derivation or similar game.

I'd also love to see such a game with more than 2 players. Trueskill should be perfectly adequate for the ratings.

It'd also be cool to see something like Diplomacy(TM); but this is a much harder thing to envisage, because it involves potentially almost arbitrarily complex negotiations (promises, alliances and the like) between players. The other main difference is that in Diplomacy moves are carried out (not just given) simultaneously and settled deterministically.
mkny
Cadet

Re: Warlight - like Risk; planetwars on a graph; fog

Postby dimkadimon » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:54 am

What a cool game - I love it!
dimkadimon
Major-General

Postby fizzer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:11 pm

Hey there!

I'm the creator of WarLight and I came across this post. I'm also simultaneously a fan of the Google AI Challenges and I have followed them closely since the Tron one. I haven't competed in them myself (only because I've been so busy working on WarLight), but my friends participated and we have talked about the AI strategies in depth.

I've often thought about opening up WarLight to an AI challenge and would be in complete support of your idea. If anyone is interested in taking this further and needs anything from me, please feel free to contact me at fizzer@warlight.net.
fizzer
Cadet

Postby McLeopold » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:30 pm

Fizzer,

I'm interested in turning this game into a potential candidate for the next contest. Right now, we are really busy trying to get the current game launched, but sometime in the middle of this contest, I'll contact you again and see if we can get something made.

We like to keep the games really simple for brand new programmers to understand and code AI for. We also like to stick to text protocols for all the bots, so we'd have to stuff your game into some type of text protocol. If you look at the ants game specification, you'll see what I mean.
McLeopold
Contest Organizer

Postby GreenTea » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:56 pm

I Vote for Warlight !!! It's realy very interesting tactical game, we shouldn't miss it...
GreenTea
Major

Postby EdwardTonai » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:18 pm

As a participant in both the GAIC and Warlight, I support the idea of combining these two of my hobbies.

Mkny has done a great job of listing his analysis of Warlight's suitability to the GAIC. I'd like to add that I also like that defenders have an advantage over attackers. I believe this is configurable, so it isn't necessary, but I like this aspect of the game.
EdwardTonai
Lieutenant

Postby fizzer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:46 am

As there's interest in this, I went ahead and threw together a prototype of what a WarLight GAIC might look like in order to gather feedback.

Please check out the blog post I wrote about this here: http://blog.warlight.net/index.php/2011 ... challenge/

Please let me know if you have any feedback! I can be reached at fizzer@warlight.net
fizzer
Cadet

Postby MatmaRex » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:42 pm

Oh my.

(WarLight player here)

I'm willing to write Ruby starter package if this actually happens.
MatmaRex
Cadet

Postby amstan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:41 am

Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Postby MatmaRex » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:43 pm

Why not, I might try to do it. I don't exactly have much time now, though, so don't consider this a promise.

Where do I find some sort of specs for it? I've not been following this forum.
MatmaRex
Cadet

Next

Return to Suggestions