[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - McLeopold asked for a Critique of the Tutorial

It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:08 pm Advanced search

McLeopold asked for a Critique of the Tutorial

Ideas for the Future

McLeopold asked for a Critique of the Tutorial

Postby Suicidolt » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:08 am

Setup is relatively simple, though a little texty. Too many words, too few pictures is my generic critique of the whole thing.

Step 1 is where the problems start. Fortunately, being in python & java, if either languages are known you can understand, but the code is brand new to the user at this point. You should have line-by-line comments as to what it does. Plus, if you AREN'T using the default python setup, there's no real explanation of what the code does or WHERE to implement it. I was able to figure it out for step 1 after a bit of a fight with it, but ultimately decided to do things my way to achieve the goal I "think" you were attempting, which is less than ideal, especially since you mention that the method will be used later.

Additionally, since the methods are neither named the same, nor are the naming conventions the same, nor are the application styles (the java/c# apps have some methods built into a "state" class). It took me several hours of fiddling with the code before I realized the prebuilt methods you were using in the python visual even existed in the c# port.

Once I figure out step 2 I'll post about it.
Head Coder for the Adventure at Your Own Risk Neverwinter Nights Server.
Coder for
Developer of the stopforumspam phpbb mod that protects this forum.
C# Developer by day. Experimenting with many other languages by night.
Suicidolt
Cadet

Re: McLeopold asked for a Critique of the Tutorial

Postby AleoGo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:48 pm

In Step 4 of the Python tutorial, the modification to MyBot.do_setup() should use xrange(), not range(). For arbitrarily large maps (or arbitrarily old machines ;) ) this becomes increasingly important.
AleoGo
Cadet

Postby jlgrall » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:03 am

Use of Gedit ?

In the beginning of the tutorial, the setting up, section "Create Test Script", under the Linux tab: it is better not to use gedit, as this is an application only available if you have Gnome installed (which is not the case for example with some linux or for Mac OS). You can create the file with the command "touch tutorial.sh" and then ask the user to open the file in their file browser and edit it.
jlgrall
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby kornork » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:57 am

The tutorials are certainly helping me on my way. However (and maybe this is a critique of the starter packages as well), the tutorial assumes the existence of some functions ( for example to calculate distance and direction ) which were not present in my starter package (ruby).

But they are certainly getting me going to begin with!
kornork
Cadet

Postby amstan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:15 am

Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Postby jlgrall » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:19 am

jlgrall
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby McLeopold » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:15 am

I would have put something for mac, but I didn't know of a command that would launch a text editor. That type of command seems to need a rain dance.
McLeopold
Contest Organizer

Postby jlgrall » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:45 am

jlgrall
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby amstan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:37 pm

Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer