[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Add more servers dynamically

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:58 am Advanced search

Add more servers dynamically

Ideas for the Future

Re: Add more servers dynamically

Postby romans01 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:15 am

romans01
Major

Postby ac0kg » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:38 pm

For the next challenge, it would be great if the user profile page that listed the time to the next game would also include a link to a page describing what the current server resources are, how much they cost, and a donate button (with cash routing worked out in advance, to avoid delays)

Like, "500 minutes to the next game (too slow? help out!)"
ac0kg
Cadet

Postby mac » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:09 am

mac
Brigadier-General

Postby romans01 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:08 am

Thanks for running 8 servers for us!
romans01
Major

Postby Speed » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:38 pm

I have an other idea how to solve this whole theme:
If the problem is, that we have over 7000 participants, then we also have 7000 computers, which could run the game.

One could build a client, which downloads the compiled Bots from the server and run against your own Bot. This Battle can then be integrated in the TrueSkill system.
Only 2 problems I see:
-the compution time depends on your machine and ressources. This could maybe be fixed by estimating the pc-power (i7 vs P4) and counting the processor time
-the .exe could be reverse engenered to copy the code. I dont know if this could be an issue with script languages.

This could be used for all the testing, the finals and some testing should still run on the servers...

what do you think? Does anyone see other issues?
Speed
Lieutenant

Postby mac » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:30 am

mac
Brigadier-General

Postby McLeopold » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:25 am

Secrecy, and the fact that all the hardware is different and can't be trusted with memory and timings.
McLeopold
Contest Organizer

Postby Oygron » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:45 pm

Hi,

Wouldn't that be possible to implement that as a BOINC application ?

* For secrecy, it is possible to encrypt the software or run it in a virtual machine. I know it is still possible to access the programs by analyzing the memory, but it is far more complicated. Furthermore, if some data are removed, such as the name of the opponents or others encrypted, such as replay data, it will be far more complicated for a hacker to access the code of a specific opponent. Eventually I'm not sure that anyone here participating this contest is willing to do such a thing.

* For the memory point, it is possible to force BOINC compute on a client machine only if it has enough free memory to do that, and if you specify that precise amount as equal to the one on your server, it would do the trick (it would perhaps be too restrictive for a vast majority of us, but it may still help a bit).

* The hardest point is timing. A "discount factor" for the timeout may be computed using the benchmarks run by BOINC on each client computer to estimate its computational power. It will not be precise enough to guarantee that the "discount factor" will have exactly the same effect as the one on your servers. But perhaps adding a +10% in time and running these decentralized tests only as unofficial and indicative tests may still be interesting, letting us know how our bot performs confronted to other bots without having to wait for days to have enough samples.

Another way of addressing the secrecy problem is to use that "unofficial and indicative" option, and let the ones who don't care risking to have their code stolen using this option as an opt-in one, and the ones who care just not using it.

For sure, this is time expensive to develop and the problem of secrecy is not well addressed, but this is just a suggestion, that may (or may not) be considered for the next challenges.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your involvement in the organization of this challenge,

Oygron
Oygron
Cadet

Postby bluegaspode » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:07 am

And down to two servers again, two weeks before the final contest where I guess everyone (but xathis) will do the most changes?

Still willing to donate as this game is fun as long as it's just running.
I cannot run all the time on TCP servers. I want to submit my bot the other night, so that I come back from work I can analyse it's latest bugs in a handful of games it played since.

*sigh*
bluegaspode
Colonel

Postby romans01 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:46 am

http://aichallenge.org/server_stats.php

I wonder how it is possible to have 30 minutes per game on server?

I suppose it is just wrong calculations, not real speed of the server?
romans01
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions