[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - What happened to game rate?

It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:37 am Advanced search

What happened to game rate?

Ideas for the Future

What happened to game rate?

Postby Parasprites » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:27 am

The game rate appears to have fallen sharply over the last few days. My bot now has to wait an average of almost 7 hours per game!

Assuming that this is a result of the deactivation thing, I suggest you change it back. It's ridiculous when deactivated bots get to play more games than active ones.
Parasprites
Major-General

Re: What happened to game rate?

Postby treeform » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:00 pm

I agree, its way to long to have to wait for games. The timer is also way off. It took me 6 hours and 20 minutes to get first game with my updated bot. It appears that the serios AI contenders are running their bots via TCP (http://ants.fluxid.pl/howto) on and watch rankings on http://ants.fluxid.pl ? Maybe the challange can transition to some thing like this for almost all bots and only the top level ones - the ones that have a chance at being number #1s to be uploaded and then tested with with exact same condition in controllable manner on the server and not every lefty and greedy started bot uploaded?
treeform
Cadet

Postby BenJackson » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:31 pm

Fluxid is sort of a metagame. It's worthwhile to run your bot against everyone else to learn how you're doing. But it's not really to your advantage to leave it running for other people to improve against.

I've decided I'll try to keep something running on fluxid just because it's such a valuable resource and I'm not *that* worried about winning. I'm also on http://213.88.39.97:2080/ but it's laggy, the replays are missing "html" which is annoying and there are very few active bots.

(btw if you are a C++ bot on those sites you need to fix the crash that happens if your bot gets no input because the client seems to do that when it times out)
BenJackson
Colonel

Postby runevision » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:47 am

Seriously, what happened to game rate?

Over the last three days my ants have participated only in two games per day. Several times it was actually more than 12 hours between successive games. At this rate it can take about a week or more from resetting a bot until it's up at a skill level where it's matched with bots of about equal skill. This extremely slow iteration time completely kills the fun.

Why has it slowed down so much?
runevision
Cadet

Postby mac » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:29 am

mac
Brigadier-General

Postby Scryer » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:16 pm

Seems to me this would be an excellent opportunity for Google to step in and up the server count by a factor of 10 or 100, if they have a few thousand dollars left over from their IPO. After all, their name *is* still on the masthead!

It's counter-intuitive to me that people have to pass the hat for servers when playing in a game "sponsored" by one of the most brilliant, successful and forward-thinking high-tech operations around! (Yes, that sounds like sucking up, but I really believe that they're not evil. :)
Scryer
Colonel

Postby mac » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:40 pm

mac
Brigadier-General

Postby analyst74 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:38 pm

analyst74
Major

Postby Parasprites » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:48 pm

I would leave my bot running on TCP more often if I could figure out how. The client provided is really buggy ad crashes constantly.
Parasprites
Major-General

Postby mac » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:25 pm

mac
Brigadier-General

Return to Suggestions