[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Rank reset with new bot. Why?

It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:31 am Advanced search

Rank reset with new bot. Why?

Ideas for the Future

Rank reset with new bot. Why?

Postby cowtippervirus » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:47 am

If I could get feedback on this one... why is our rank reset when we upload a new bot? I understand that you have to blow your confidence intervals away to properly re-rank a new submission, but why start back at 50%? It would seem logical to keep a player right where they left off with the previous submission as a starting point.

There's a hidden suggestion there... but I'm guessing there's a good reason why I'm wrong.
cowtippervirus
Captain

Re: Rank reset with new bot. Why?

Postby Jester » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:50 am

I agree, it makes sense for the skill to reset, I figure that's bot related, but not rank. It seems one should be tied to the bot, the other to the user?
Jester
Captain

Postby pedrosorio » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:04 pm

pedrosorio
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby mac » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:32 pm

mac
Brigadier-General

Postby cowtippervirus » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:17 am

cowtippervirus
Captain

Postby Janzert » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Keeping your rank across bot resubmits is essentially what was done during planetwars. Problems with the ranking system itself caused by doing that are only a secondary and minor concern. The primary reason we went back to a rank reset on resubmission is that we saw a few cases in planetwars where bots that had been at the top of the rankings for several resubmits basically "overfit" for playing against the other top bots and did poorly in the finals when they ended up playing against a broader range of opponents.

It only takes about 5 games on resubmit to be back playing against the top bots again. I don't think that is a terrible cost to show that you still play well against the spectrum of opponents. It would be nice to increase the game rate so those games happen quicker of course. ;)
Janzert
Contest Organizer

Postby KyberPrizrak » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Sorry for my bad English.
I am From Russia.
KyberPrizrak
Lieutenant

Postby bluegaspode » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:42 pm

bluegaspode
Colonel

Postby keithroe » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:16 pm

Agreed, I am running over 30 hours for my first 5 games as well. At this stage there is really very little point in uploading my new code to the aichallenge server after I make improvements. I make some improvements to my bot, upload, my bot crushes the low ranked bots in my first few matches, then it is 24 hours later and I have made further improvements which need to be tested, but my last commit still hasnt played a real match against a similarly skilled bot.

Instead I just use one of the tcp clients to run on a third party site and I can get immediate feedback on my bot, albeit in a very limited pool of other bots.

This seems like it is worse than the problems with Planet Wars mentioned by Janzert above -- now most of the good players are doing their testing on ants.fluxid.pl or similar server so the rankings on the aichallenge site are meaningless. I suspect that when the official tournament comes, there will be a sudden influx of commits from top players.

Please let us donate to increase server count ...
keithroe
Lieutenant

Postby KyberPrizrak » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:44 am

Sorry for my bad English.
I am From Russia.
KyberPrizrak
Lieutenant

Next

Return to Suggestions