[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Game with limited-knowledge agents.

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:43 pm Advanced search

Game with limited-knowledge agents.

Ideas for the Future

Re: Game with limited-knowledge agents.

Postby Parasprites » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:33 pm

As long as the team gets rewarded equally, there's no incentive to backstab.
Parasprites
Major-General

Postby tmc » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm hoping that future AI contests require cooperation between bots, either with fixed alliances or negotiated ones (diplomacy). I have no idea yet what kind of game a diplomacy-based AI challenge would be, but it sounds fun!

Anyway, back to fixed-alliance cooperative games. I quite like this general idea, though I think the tactical aspects of "Commando" need some work. The description you have now would make combat mostly about agreeing on who to attack and who to support, but it seems to me that there's not very much you can do about that. There is not very much time (given 3 or 5 HP per bot) to learn how to agree on anything with your teammates. The challenge is really about learning about them.

I think restricting the messages that can be passed between bots to a very small number of messages with fixed meaning is a fairly decent solution to communicating between bots that know nothing about each other. However, the actual meaning of the messages is up to the bot authors. Some group of contestants might come to agreement about slightly different meanings of the standard messages (I can imagine wide consensus on the forums occurring), or even use some kind of secret handshake (eg. "Regroup", "Regroup", "Support", "Regroup") to identify the use of a radically different protocol. I think that's a bad thing, but I don't see how to prevent it.

I think communications should be broadcast to all teammates in comm range, though they could still specify the bot they are intended for. Otherwise your other teammates have too little information about what's going on, and working in a team of more than two is too difficult.

Having large numbers of starter/stupid bots which don't cooperate at all is really going to make ranking bots difficult. I imagine that a good bot would first have to figure out whether to ignore its stupid teammates and go solo, or whether it's playing on a good team that can actually cooperate. I'll guess that this will mean needing a really large number of games to rank bots accurately, since they'll need to gain a good ranking based on solo tactically play before the cooperative aspect becomes dominant. That's a count against this game idea.

Here's a crazy idea: bots could pick their own teams rather than always being assigned randomly: after each match, each bot ranks their teammates on whether they would prefer to be on the same team again, or not. The server creates teams based on rankings (as in Ants), but also on preferences (plus a random factor). This could mean more teams which actually work, but it's terribly prone to cheating. Crazy idea.
tmc
Brigadier-General

Postby mac » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:56 pm

mac
Brigadier-General

Postby mac » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:15 am

mac
Brigadier-General

Postby Parasprites » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:52 pm

I don't really see how this can be made into a meaningful competition.

If all behaviors are standardized by agreement on the forums, what is there to change? Pretty much the only things that would differentiate bots is backstabbing and secret team handshakes.
Parasprites
Major-General

Postby mac » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:49 pm

mac
Brigadier-General

Previous

Return to Suggestions