It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:21 am Advanced search

Colorblindness (Red)

Ideas for the Future

Colorblindness (Red)

Postby zanirzrold » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:08 pm

Completely semantic, but I can't see the red ants against the brown background. Is it possible to make their colour a little more pink?
zanirzrold
Lieutenant

Re: Colorblindness (Red)

Postby Zedenstein » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:33 pm

As a temporary solution, there is a button on the right to put player letters on ants. Harder to figure out, but I figure it's better than seeing nothing.
Zedenstein
Captain

Postby tmc » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 am

I'm also slightly colourblind, and find the edges of the red fog-of-war for player 0 difficult to see. I've been meaning to tinker with the visualiser.
tmc
Brigadier-General

Postby carlos.guia » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:59 am

This is a pretty late reply, but I found this accidentally today.

I'm colorblind too, and I have to say, It is impossible to see those red ants.

I tried to match color and name before watching a replay, I usually said to myself something like:
- "foo is playing yellow"
- "bar is playing blue"
- "baz is playing green"
and
- "qux is playing invisible"
carlos.guia
Lieutenant

Postby ChrisH » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:59 am

Yes, I'm R-G color blind and I spent a lot of time on IRC with the devs vetting the color choices. It was really hard to find 10 ant colors that I could tell apart from each other and a background color they stood out on. I agree that the red ants are the worst. Another factor is that different monitors show the colors differently. The monitor on my home computer is color calibrated using an Eye-one Display 2 colorimeter, and I can see the colors nicely there (the red is still the hardest though). My work laptop is also calibrated with the same colorimeter, but the screen just isn't as good, and it is even harder to see the red on that screen. In addition I have a hard time telling the purple and blue ants apart on my laptop.

I'm not sure there is a perfect set of colors that work for everyone on every monitor, but we did put a lot of time into picking the colors. Even so, there is no disputing that the red ants are the worst.
ChrisH
Colonel

Return to Suggestions