[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Game Idea: Capture the flag / Domination

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:57 pm Advanced search

Game Idea: Capture the flag / Domination

Ideas for the Future

Game Idea: Capture the flag / Domination

Postby ikaros » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Since ideas are coming up I want to propose 2 myself.

Idea1: A 2D capture the flag game where each player has a team of robots/whatevers. The team should like in classic capture the flag games kill enemies and try to capture the flags of opponents and bring them back to their own base. Killed enemies should respawn at the home base (with or without a time penalty).

Idea2: A domination game like the old dos game Z (oss clone: http://zod.sourceforge.net/). Players aim to control zones of a map. Each zone has a flag or something similar. As soon as a team touches the flag of a zone, the zone changes ownership to this team.
Robots are produced by factories, which produce units by time. The More zones are controlled the faster factories produce.
That concept can be advanced by stationary buildings like towers or such which help to hold a zone.
Also interesting would be the idea of amstan in irc: a game where you can alter the terrain like in minecraft. you could add this to both of the concepts.

I would love to see something like that, where strategic planning is needed (perhaps even more than infight itself)

There would be an option to do both of these ideas as (almost) realtime games. But that would probably handicap slower scripting languages.

Disclaimer: Those concepts are both vague and would of course need a lot of refinement.
ikaros
Cadet

Re: Game Idea: Capture the flag / Domination

Postby nhaehnle » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:53 pm

nhaehnle
Cadet

Postby Scryer » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:32 pm

I have reservations about team play. I envision covert teams that would exchange a bit of information near the beginning of the game. The meta-team would include a bunch of throw-away members that attempt to sabotage games that their meta-team members aren't playing in. Their personal scores wouldn't matter, since the covert team wouldn't have an official standing. In addition, I'd rather not have my own performance depend on the performance of another player; and similarly I'd rather not let down other players with my own execrable performance.

I suppose coordination could be done in the Ants game also, though, so perhaps it's not a serious issue. That is, when you meet the first ant of another player, you do a "handshake" dance. If you get the right response, then you act as a team for the rest of the game, coordinating on targets and leaving your buddy's ants and hills alone.
Scryer
Colonel

Postby Morloth » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:18 pm

I agree with Scryer, adding a team element seems like fun but it's too easy to abuse and frustrating if you're bot is let down by its team mates. It's a shame because it would be really nice to be able to split the AI challenge into two sets of bots.

Games like natural selection - a Half-Life mod where marines fight evolving aliens - where some people can create the strategic commander determining high level strategy and base building and others can create the actual bots on the field who build, explore and fight.

I love your first idea, however the only problem is how to deal with combat. In games like Quake the bots are made inaccurate on purpose so the humans can have fun playing the game. In an AI challenge we don't care about the fun level of the bots fighting (how would you measure it?) but about winning. Which means that for a FPS team game it's kinda hard to determine how to deal with this. I don't think that adding randomisation is path you want to go down, because once you add random elements to the game strategy is pretty much thrown out of the window and bots don't win because they are better but because they got lucky due to a random number generator.

Going for a deterministic approach for combat brings you back to the ant game, albeit with fewer ants and the objective that they have to return the food piece back to base.

A possible idea to get around this problem is to equip all the bots with nothing but grenades which they can throw and bounce of walls. They can cook the grenade in their hand - but the enemy will know if a bot is cooking a grenade if it can see it. Another idea is to adopt the combat system of Frozen Synopsis where bots can be equip with different weapons and have a facing which determines what they can see and respond to (attacking an enemy from the rear or flanking wins the day and a shotgun will win from a machine gun at close range).
Morloth
Cadet

Return to Suggestions