It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:20 am Advanced search

Bot skill climbing slowly

Ideas for the Future

Bot skill climbing slowly

Postby Parasprites » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:52 pm

Something seems fishy about the skill algorithm recently. The new version of my bot is only rank 422, despite winning all 8 of it's games so far. I seem to remember bots rising much more quickly in the past.

GreenTea is ranked 39th after only 12 games and Joholm is 85th after only 8 games.
Parasprites
Major-General

Re: Bot skill climbing slowly

Postby Scryer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Four of the eight you won were 2-player games. Those have always given a lower reward than winning multi-player games. Luck of the draw. Only two of joholm's first eight for version 28 were 2-player games, and only one of GreenTea's first eight for version 13 was 2-player.
Scryer
Colonel

Re: Bot skill climbing slowly

Postby ChrisH » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:46 pm

In addition to what Scryer pointed out, it has to do with the quality of the opponents you were given. They seemed to have mu scores several points lower than your bots at each step, so your mu doesn't go up as much for beating them.

My current submission had the same thing happen, but even worse. I was only ranked #667 after winning my first eight games in which four or five were one-on-one games against bots with a mu often 10 lower than mine. But then I got some better match-ups (and won) and moved up faster as a result.
ChrisH
Colonel

Return to Suggestions