[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Game Idea: Bomberman

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:08 pm Advanced search

Game Idea: Bomberman

Ideas for the Future

Game Idea: Bomberman

Postby gnu264 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:11 pm

Advantages:
- Inherently multi-player
- Interesting replays
- Game and rules are well known by everyone who has ever used a computer :)
- Can be made arbitrarily complex by adding various power-ups
- Easy enough so even mediocre programmers are able to make a basic AI
- Games can have a fixed maximum length if the walls start closing in after X moves

Cons:
- Maybe too easy for good bots? Complexity would be low enough to allow a brute-force minimax solution?

Especially the power-ups would make the game quite interesting IMHO.

btw, is there a place where all game suggestions are collected? I couldn't find one.
gnu264
Captain

Re: Game Idea: Bomberman

Postby zarkon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:45 pm

This sounds like fun.

If each player starts with multiple characters to control, minimax-based strategies become less effective (larger move space).

So one of the powerups can be "spawn new allied character".

Another interesting powerup is "build wall" (after picking a "build wall" powerup, a player can at a later time block a square - maybe have "build wall" and "build indestructible walls" powerups)?

"Teleport" powerups can similarly be used to build a network of (maybe indestructible) teleporters (after picking a "teleport" powerup, the character can drop two teleport locations that are connected). Teleporters can be also player specific or affect all players.

But I'm afraid this is still to easy to aproach with minimax.
zarkon
Lieutenant

Postby ikaros » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:31 pm

I like that idea! Had it myself and mentioned it in irc. People feared that it would be MinMax only but I think complexity can be increased as you say. There could be a buying system or a stochastic approach.

Would love to see a bomberman ai challenge.
ikaros
Cadet

Postby Morloth » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:02 pm

I think if you add the ability to either: 1) Pickup bombs and throw them; 2) squares away or kick bombs away; it becomes complex enough. Especially if there are 4 other enemies on the field. Environment can play a big part as well, include some conveyor belts and teleport tiles and you're set :).
Morloth
Cadet

Postby agent_smith » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:27 pm

Bomberman would be nice, certainly better than chess.
agent_smith
Colonel

Postby Gajet » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:40 pm

seems like a good idea!
Gajet
Cadet

Postby Avsi » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:31 am

I fully support the idea! Such a game would be real fun)
Avsi
Cadet

Postby mbz » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:22 pm

mbz
Cadet

Postby tomasz » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Bomberman is a great idea!
In my opinion power ups and teleports would make programming complex and simple minmax solution would still be useful.

I would rather add timers to bombs.
Player can place a bomb and set, how many rounds it takes to go off (i.e. ranging from 1 to 10 rounds).
Other players see where the bomb is placed, but they don't see when it will go off.
One bomberman can only set one bomb at a time.
This opens room for strategic play and eliminates "best solution" without adding much programming complexity.

For example:
1. Player can set up bomb to explode after 10 rounds and hope, that enemies will stay away in fear, that it can go off in next round.
2. Player can suicide one soldier, and set up bomb to go off after one round, just to destroy enemy bombs and push with more units or he can wait, until other player mines go off.
3. Hardcore players can use some math and probability theory to predict, how other players set their bomb timers.
4. Or they can search nearest bombermans. If nearest bomber is 9 moves away, the bomb has to explode in the next round.

To make things even simpler, I wouldn't put food on the map. I would rather spawn new bomberman every n rounds.
I would also eliminate fog of war.

Ants were brilliant, because player had to balance between spreading (to gather food) and crowding (to fight).
In bomberman, you have to spread your soldiers (otherwise, they will kill each other) and you have to coordinate to trap and kill enemies.

There is one thing, that I would steal from ants and it is anthill. Place, where new bombermans are created, that can be destroyed for points. However, I am afraid, it could be too easy to destroy by a suicide-bomber. I think, it should have something like 20 hp points, that regenerate (i.e. 1hp per round) and one bomb takes 10 hp. This way enemy has to coordinate two bombs at the same time or at least three one after another.
I know, I know, this is complex, so if anyone has a better idea, let me know!
tomasz
Cadet

Postby Karlimero » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:31 am

I would be very amazed if the "experts" of this forum see less min-max-problem in this game idea than in robo-rally.
Theres absolutely no difference in the complexity of the bot algorithm.
Karlimero
Lieutenant

Return to Suggestions