[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - auto-notify of new contests?

It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:50 pm Advanced search

auto-notify of new contests?

Ideas for the Future

auto-notify of new contests?

Postby RichardBuckalew » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:54 pm

I participated in the Planet Wars challenge and had a blast. I didn't learn about this one until 3 days before the submission deadline, and so sadly I haven't been able to participate. Please implement an email auto-notification for when the next google ai challenge goes live so that people like me can enter!
RichardBuckalew
Cadet

Re: auto-notify of new contests?

Postby franperuzzi » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:40 pm

That would be a great feature. In the meantime, I've set up a google alert for ai challenge, so I can see when the buzz starts up.
franperuzzi
Captain

Postby Surya » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:44 am

Agreed!

I discovered Ai-Challenge just after the previous contest. I followed the specification of this ant-challenge but lost track of it after a while. I've been very lucky to find out it was ON 2 weeks after the begining of the contest. I could have been way worse.
Please add a feature (like a newsletter or something)

Cheers!
Surya
Captain

Postby amstan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:07 am

The usual advice i would give is subscribe to the atom feed of the announcements forum. Thing is that I plan to phase out the phpbb forum and get something django based.

I usually post in reddit.com/r/programming about new contests, ycombinator also has quite a stir when this happens.

I suggest looking at github for new code, perhaps frequent the irc channel for news. We don't plan moving out of those anytime soon.

The homepage will also be updated when a new contest is up. So if a google alert tells you when that happens i guess it's a good way.
Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Postby jaman4dbz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:14 am

All great advice in general, if you want to keep up with things.

I still think a mailing list would solve this problem. Like a new one, for the sole purpose of letting people know the phases of the competitions.
So it would send out approx 7 emails each competition:
One for stating that the game has been chosen.
One for stating that the specifications are in release candidate.
One for stating that the beta has begun.
One for stating that the competition has started and the specifications are final.
One for stating that the final week is upon us.
One for stating that the final day is upon us.
One for stating that the final competition has finished and the final standings are available.

Is it that difficult to setup a mailing list? I've never done it, but my friends made it sound easy.
jaman4dbz
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby aerique » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:59 am

aerique
Brigadier-General

Postby amstan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:06 am

Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer