It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:29 am Advanced search

meta game idea: What a good competition needs

Ideas for the Future

meta game idea: What a good competition needs

Postby jaman4dbz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:30 pm

I see a lot of ideas for future competitions posted, and I believe there is no bad idea, however I think some of them could be thought through me.
I'm not very good at coming up with novel ideas, but I am pretty good at being objectively critical about ideas, so the best I can do is present to you what a good competition game will have:

-Simple: You should be able to explain the concept to a 5 year old in 2 minutes.

-Seemingly infinite solutions: The more possible approaches to winning the game, the better. For example with ants, you could be greedy and go for food, or be aggressive and go for hills, or defensive and kill off ants; you could use A* to route to locations, or diffusion maps to influence ants to locations, or random sampling.

-impossible to be optimal: You shouldn't be able to brute force, or brute force + cache an optimal solution.

-The game should be easy to track. You should be able to relate what is going on in the game, with the code you wrote.

-Being able to accept input and run should require very little code.

-modifying a starter kit to do the basics of playing the game should require no more than 5 minutes of development, given a tutorial.

I think that's all I got for now. Keep coming with the ideas. So far I'm not a fan of any of them ;).
jaman4dbz
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: meta game idea: What a good competition needs

Postby amstan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:52 pm

Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Re: meta game idea: What a good competition needs

Postby jaman4dbz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:07 pm

Oh, awesome. That is great to have.

Ok, so my idea is to take Least Unique Positive Integer and somehow infuse it with Rock Paper Scissors!
jaman4dbz
Lieutenant-Colonel

Return to Suggestions