[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - next contest

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:41 pm Advanced search

next contest

Ideas for the Future

next contest

Postby tictac » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:01 pm

Well i don't have something really specific but just some generic thoughts:
i did not participate in the previous contests but looking at them it seems that they were very different in terms on algorithms and basic approach.
It would be really great if the next one manages to be also different.

Some possible things that might make things differents:
- different kind of units : hauler, fighters
- point allocation system: you must spend point either to buy ressources or to move your units instead of moving all.
- hexagonal grid would not ve really really different

This lead me to think of a venerable board game i played , it was fun but maybe hard to port :
full metal planet. but i cant find rules on the internet and it was only ever published in france so ...
Edit: i found a german clone of the game with rule online:( )
rules are simple, point base, and the "tide" is a funny complication:
tide rise or fall so some tiles becomes passable or impassable during the game making for funny pathfinding
combat rule are very simple too
A sport simulation would also be different
tictac
Lieutenant

Re: next contest

Postby stupidquestions » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:04 pm

stupidquestions
Captain

Postby KhipuKamayuq » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:29 pm

A Hexagon based Turn based mini strategy game (BatteIsle,UniWar, PanzerGeneral) would be really cool.
And Hexagons add a variety of solutions for data managment, and software architecture.

And the would Bot have to mange differnt types of units. (Artillery, Healer, Tanks... etc) That sounds like a challenge of my taste.
Last edited by KhipuKamayuq on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KhipuKamayuq
Lieutenant

Postby KhipuKamayuq » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:39 pm

KhipuKamayuq
Lieutenant

Postby keithroe » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:45 pm

I would love a CTF type game with real time strategy elements.
keithroe
Lieutenant

Postby franperuzzi » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:43 am

I really liked the fog of war in this contest. Maybe something else where you don't have complete knowledge of the play area. First thing that comes to mind is something like Stratego.
franperuzzi
Captain

Postby lama3oid » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:02 am

How about something with mechanics, similar to Worms Armageddon ?
lama3oid
Captain

Postby KhipuKamayuq » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:03 pm

I have a great idea. What about playing scissors,stone,paper, lizzard,spock on a hexagonal grid in a turn based manner? It adds the right amount of nerdism mixed with enough complexity to be challenging. The unit propertys might be refined during the development process. For the first mockup the additonal complexity of propertys should be droped.
KhipuKamayuq
Lieutenant

Postby Corniel » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:58 am

Another nice could be something as Diplomacy. (There is a platform already for it: binary, not that much 2012)

A game where bots can not win anything without dealing with and cheating the opponents. :)
Corniel
Lieutenant

Postby mrblurgle » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:26 am

I came to this page looking for some indication of the date of the next contest. As such, my suggestion is to publish this date on the main website (perhaps it is there and I just didn't look hard enough, but I couldn't find it easily). I assume there will be some sort of mail-out for major dates (including start dates) for the next competition?
mrblurgle
Cadet

Return to Suggestions