[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Game Idea: Real Time Strategy

It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:27 am Advanced search

Game Idea: Real Time Strategy

Ideas for the Future

Re: Game Idea: Real Time Strategy

Postby angeladik » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:36 pm

I am back. I never ended thinking about an RTS contest idea, so here it is in details:

* supposed to be a team challenge - bot may be too hard to be made by one person,
* not real RTS - I would say it is Step Time Strategy - similar to ants,
* 1 turn would be made of move order and action order, like move 1 hex further and attack an enemy,
* played on hex map,
* 3 resources - food, wood and iron
* winning condition - killing every enemy unit and every building / killing every worker and base building if got amount of units advantage

Neutral objects:
Image - basic land hex
Image - tree - source of wood, needs to be cut down by workers
Image - tree - ready to be gathered by workers
Image - water - impassable terrain
Image - fish - source of food - gathered by workers
Image - deer - source of food, needs to be killed by workers
Image - meat - source of food, dead deer, gathered by workers
Image - iron - last resource gathered by workers

Structures:
Image - house - increases population limit
Image - farm - source of food, grown by workers, worker can stand on it
Image - mill - workers can store resources here
Image - stables - you can hire cavalry here
Image - archery range - you can hire archers here
Image - barracks - you can hire knights here
Image - base - you can hire workers here, workers store resources here

Units:
Image - worker - gathers resources and builds structures, 1 hex/move, cost - food, gathers 1 unit of resource/action, able to carry max 10 units of resource of one kind, can't carry fish and wood for example, can't carry fish/meat/wheat combinations, drops (destroys) carried resource if starts to gather something different
Image - knight - durable melee combat unit, 1 hex/move, cost - food and iron
Image - cavalry - swift melee combat unit, 2 hexes/move, cost - food and iron
Image - archer - fragile long range combat unit, 1 hex/move, cost - food and wood
Image - edges describe units origin, green for neutral

Example map:
Image - how it is supposed to look like

That would be all for now. I encourage you to discuss this idea.

Adrian
angeladik
Major

Postby angeladik » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:08 pm

About 100 people have seen this post already, but still no response. Come on, now we have time to discuss, before contest will be organized :) Everyone is welcome. Everyone.
angeladik
Major

Postby angeladik » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:47 am

Over 600 viewers and only 6 replies :( Is this forum dead?
angeladik
Major

Postby Ali Akbar » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:17 pm

Ali Akbar
Cadet

Postby lorill » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:46 pm

lorill
Cadet

Postby keithroe » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:17 pm

I wonder if someone on the dev team could start looking into transferring ownership of the AI Challenge to a new group. I understand that some of the principal team members are not available/responding/whatever. If they dont have the time or interest, I think that this enthusiastic community should be able to wrangle a team to head up the project.

This competition is enjoyed by 1000s of participants and there is nothing even close to it elsewhere on the net. It would be a shame to see it die (as it now seems to be doing).
keithroe
Lieutenant

Postby angeladik » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:18 pm

I understand you keithroe and lorill and encourage you to talk about it in "Can we change ownership of the AI Challenge " topic. Let's end talk about it and proceed to talk about my idea :) Please, tell me what can be biggest problem, what weaknesses this idea has?
angeladik
Major

Postby keithroe » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:29 pm

This looks really promising. Is it based on a particular pre-existing game?
keithroe
Lieutenant

Postby angeladik » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:53 pm

I was inspired mainly by Age of Empires series (farms, mill as a 2nd storehouse) but the basic idea is: gather different resources, produce army, fight, like most of RTS games :) This may be simplified even more - no population limit, less resources, base as a spawn for all units. I didn't suggest that, because I want a challenge :) Of course this is just an idea and can be transformed further into satisfying version :)
angeladik
Major

Postby angeladik » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:19 pm

@Ali Akbar
I am glad that you take part in this chat. I didn't implement these things because of two reasons:
* idea isn't finished yet, there are many things to be done, I didn't share all my ideas with you so far
* I don't know how hard it is to make such a game, I don't want to make it too complicated. On the other hand, this could be a Team AI Challenge, we can increase difficulty :) I need to find someone who is familiar with this subject, maybe Ants programmer? :)

As I mentioned earlier, I was inspired by Age of Empires series. Moreover, most of your ideas were implemented there :)

I spent few last days thinking about combat in this Turn Based Strategy Game. I hope I will post some results (propositions?) today, in few hours :) All of you, keep writing about what you think. This is the only thing we've got for now ^^

Adrian

P.S. Idea of Tower Defense may be another good one. Maybe make a topic about it?
angeladik
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions