[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - game idea & prototype: single/team 2D turn-tactical shooter

It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:04 am Advanced search

game idea & prototype: single/team 2D turn-tactical shooter

Ideas for the Future

game idea & prototype: single/team 2D turn-tactical shooter

Postby jcothran » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:47 pm

Hi all,

see http://code.google.com/p/sqlitebot/wiki/phibian for more details on the below project

I've been brainstorming and working a bit on a simple gametype, game server and client demo to encourage more continuous AI development and sharing at the open public and AI contest level - the pattern I currently see is singular AI contests, which I appreciate, but I'd like to see something which encourages sharing and reuse of AI at a more general level, particularly towards shared evolving code/data bases.

So the focus is really on providing a simple game and API and continuously running the game server and tournament and seeing what emerges from the community. I've detailed some project notes in the link above and welcome feedback where there might be interest(AI client,viewer,player interface development, AI and/or human competitors) in something like this or not.

The initial gametype scenario is a very simple 2D top-down turn-based movement scenario, with the only objective being to hunt/detect other players before they detect you. The initial game server should be continuously up if anyone would like to try or modify the starter game client and see the results(a .csv file with player moves,etc) on the viewer page. The server and client are both currently written in perl and the viewer in flash. New maps are simple grids translated from png files with 'open' and 'closed' pixel RGB values.

I can add continuous ranking (and user authentication/IP logging to help discourage 'cheating'), although looking to support both single player(solo bot/player) and team player(coordination between bots/players) gametypes.

Thanks
Jeremy
Last edited by jcothran on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcothran
Captain

Re: game idea: phibian - single/team 2D turn-tactical shoote

Postby MagnumPU » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:09 am

Sounds cool, I'm going to take a closer look soon when I have more time. Thanks.
MagnumPU
Captain

Re: game idea & prototype: single/team 2D turn-tactical shoo

Postby agent_smith » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:24 pm

Oh my... I think I used to play Laser Squad on C64
agent_smith
Colonel

Re: game idea & prototype: single/team 2D turn-tactical shoo

Postby jcothran » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:36 pm

jcothran
Captain

Return to Suggestions