[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Testing Strategies

It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:29 pm Advanced search

Testing Strategies

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Testing Strategies

Postby dimkadimon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:25 am

What testing strategies are you using to test your bot?

Currently I am simply eye-balling the replays and seeing whether my bot is doing the "right thing". Once I develop some stronger bots my plan is to run a mini tournament for all my bots (current and older bots). I want to play games with all my bots on all possible maps. After each game the rating of each bot is updated (like it is done on the site). At the end of the tournament I will see what rating my current bot has achieved. If my current bot did not achieve first ranking then clearly I haven't made any improvements. If it has achieved first ranking then I still need to check whether its rating is significantly better than the bot's who came in second. If it is not, then I haven't made any significant improvements.

An interesting question is: how many games do we need to play on the server before we know that our ranking has stabilized? Assume that there are X bots on the server and they are fixed, ie. not being updated. Also assume that each game has an average of Y players (I guess this is important). I wonder if there is a proper theoretical bound for this based on X and Y.
dimkadimon
Major-General

Re: Testing Strategies

Postby analyst74 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:25 pm

Then you can write a mutation script that modifies your current bot in random/controlled ways, and bam, you got yourself a genetic/ML powered ant bot!

Although the downside of this is that it's only good for achieving local maximum, it will not be able to invent new effective strategies.
analyst74
Major

Re: Testing Strategies

Postby chaRlesgRiffiths » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:40 am

chaRlesgRiffiths
Cadet

Return to Strategy