[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - moving ant into another ants previous location

It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:51 am Advanced search

moving ant into another ants previous location

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

moving ant into another ants previous location

Postby antatack » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:51 pm

I hope this is the right place to post

Say I have 3 ants all adjacent to each other. I want to move ant 1 away then ant 2 to where ant 1 was and ant 3 to where ant 2 was all in the same turn. Because the movement is order specific does the server make the moves in the order they are placed by my bot it seems like this is the case? If not then potentially some of my ants will die because they collide. I just wanted to be sure of what happened and how if anyone knows for sure.
antatack
Cadet

Re: moving ant into another ants previous location

Postby BearOff » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:09 pm

All next positions are computed before making decisions about collisions.
BearOff
Colonel

Postby antatack » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:36 pm

oops yes silly question then.

Thanks for the answer
antatack
Cadet

Postby joexner » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:07 pm

joexner
Cadet

Postby tmc » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:29 pm

Yes.
tmc
Brigadier-General

Postby DrClaes » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:35 am

I'm working on an algorithm to resolve conflicts when several ants have orders to move into the same tile or each other's location; for the case described above, of two ants which would like to "swap places"; the actual switch is redundant, and it will speed up ant travel if they "bounce" off each other instead, swapping order queues.

E.g.

Ant 1 wants to move A->B->C

Ant 2 wants to move B->A->D

Orders as suggested above:
Ant 1: A->B
Ant 2: B->A

Orders after algorithm:
Ant 1: A->D
Ant 2: B->C

Anyone else doing this (and more sophisticated versions?)
DrClaes
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby BearOff » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:31 am

Good idea, I thought about this too, but as this is not so often case I postponed it - there are more important improvements.
BearOff
Colonel

Postby Parasprites » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:51 pm

I've thought about it, but I haven't gotten around to trying to implement it yet.
Parasprites
Major-General

Postby tmc » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:45 am

While I'll probably implement that just-in-case, ideally you would never assign tasks to ants like that because it means you're doing so sub-optimally. Of course that's a given if you're not reassigning/pathing for each ant every turn, which you probably can't get away with without some sophisticated pathfinding.
tmc
Brigadier-General

Return to Strategy