[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Ignoring path finding and using collaborative diffusion

It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:50 am Advanced search

Ignoring path finding and using collaborative diffusion

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Re: Ignoring path finding and using collaborative diffusion

Postby Darhuuk » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:05 pm

Darhuuk
Colonel

Postby agent_smith » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:15 pm

First, I would like to thank icefox profusely for bringing the idea of collaborative diffusion and antiobjects to attention. It's a great idea and suits this game of ants magnificently. I was looking for a kind of "unified field theory" and found it. Well, almost - as far as I understand, it's good for everything but fighting.

zyberkiddy: you can just do zero (as in original Pacman example, if you've seen it). The more your ants "conduct" the scent, the more they will tend to group.
agent_smith
Colonel

Postby frefity » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:31 am

Hi All

Thanks for the insight so far. I've implemented collaborative diffusion and I'm pretty happy with the results so far. I'm running into an issue with exploration and was wondering any anyone could give me some tips?

I move around looking for food first, if there is not food "smell" then i explore. Exploring means heading towards tiles I can't see in the current turn and that are given a higher score depending on when I last saw them. The problem is that I then have a cluster of ants around my hill who can't smell any food or unexplored areas since the ants around them have already eaten the food and there are no non visibile tiles close enough to them that the smell reaches them.

Any tips on how I can get my ants to stop clustering around the hill would be greatly appreciated. I'm often ending up with more than half my ants stuck in my hill!

Thanks
frefity
Cadet

Postby Darhuuk » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:53 am

Darhuuk
Colonel

Postby frefity » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:10 am

Hi

That's actually what I'm doing. Areas that I can't see are given a score, highest if the tile has never been seen and tending towards a lower number if it has been seen recently.

I'm also blocking the scent with my ants though so that they take different paths and I'm also only managing about 100 diffusions per round so maybe I just need to play around with that so that the smell reaches the ants near my hill. I've been testing in on one of the large maze maps which means that the smell doesn't diffuse that far.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll see what happens if I increase the number of diffusions.
frefity
Cadet

Postby Darhuuk » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:18 am

Darhuuk
Colonel

Postby frefity » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:23 am

I start with a "fresh" board each turn. Should I not be doing this?
frefity
Cadet

Postby Darhuuk » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:48 am

Darhuuk
Colonel

Postby frefity » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:52 am

Great, thanks for the advice. I'll stop clearing it and see how it goes.
frefity
Cadet

Postby bluegaspode » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:52 am

As my Ants reduce the diffusion to implement the 'collaboritive' part of the diffusion, I often had areas with no diffusion at all. The scent was 'blocked away' from certain parts of the map by other ants - typically around the hill when there are many ants.

I just start a final BFS from all fields that had a diffusion value assigned, to give those ants with no smell around them a direction to the nearest place with some diffusion value.

This reduced the need to do many diffusion a lot (I am acutally only doing 15 iterations per round). So for explorer ants near the hill they are typically driven by the BFS leading them away from the hill to the nearest diffusion values - and on the edges of the unexplored areas they are completely driven by the diffusion of course.
bluegaspode
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Strategy