[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - It's 2am, do you know what your code is doing ?

It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:05 pm Advanced search

It's 2am, do you know what your code is doing ?

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

It's 2am, do you know what your code is doing ?

Postby Zaph » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:24 am

After reading lots of peoples comments about strategies I've come to a simple conclusion: I don't know what my code is doing :-)

My bot is a Frankenstein monster, made up of lots of ideas and changes that I've done over the last month or two - and I don't really understand what it does any more.
Sure, I understand the little blobs of code here and there, but in terms of overall strategy for the bot.. nope, I really don't know what it's going to do next !

Am I the only one like this? or are others at the point where they've glued together so many ideas that they don't really know what their code does any more?

Obviously anyone going down the Neural Networks or Genetic Programming route was at that point before they started :-)

I'm not saying I want to change it, I like the fact that this is my little monster I've created, but I do feel inadequate compared to those who seem to have actually thought and planned out their code/strategy :-)
Zaph
Colonel

Re: It's 2am, do you know what your code is doing ?

Postby codetiger » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:57 am

Hey same thought here.

My aim was to bring my bot within top 100. Once my old version which just had aggressive exploration alone reached it. Now I have added combat. I assume my bot is super intelligent however, it just fails in every tcp game.

I am not touching to much of code now, but just tuning some numbers here and there. I don't feel like starting any new strategy now. :) I feel too busy watching other games.

codetiger
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby carlos.guia » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:06 am

I've had similar situations once in a while. Also have coded a brand new idea and then see my bot kick my older versions to grounds, later realized I had a bug in the implementation and fixed, only to find that the correct code is much worse than my older versions. So I have to digest (and usually guess) why the bug was better than either the old or correct versions.
carlos.guia
Lieutenant

Postby amstan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:58 am

I remember the times when i was building a bot for tron.

I was a simple floodfill bot that went in the direction with most space available. It did ok for the first week(I was on top!). I really didn't like how it was splitting its space in 2 though. So i added a way to look one step ahead, which fixed the problem.

That fix also made the bot have a very weird behavior that I did not even think about. Whenever it was space filling, it would create these exit tunnels, and it would even use them sometimes. It was such a discovery when i saw this unintended behavior.
Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Postby Parasprites » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:17 am

I mostly just add up different scores arbitrarily and hope for the best.
Parasprites
Major-General

Postby codetiger » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:22 am

while we are wondering what to do, who do you think the top 5 ranks will belong to, in the finals.

I think
~~~~~

1 xathis
2 pguillory
3 FlagCapper
4 Memetix
5 a1k0n

Mine
~~~~
Within top 150 but I wish it was on top 20 :lol:

codetiger
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby dimkadimon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:04 am

Great topic!

I used to debug my bot after each new feature to make sure that it is doing the right thing. At that stage I knew what my bot is doing and could more or less predict its actions. After a while I stopped doing that because the bot got too complicated. So now I think I know what it is doing but every now and then it does some weird stuff that I cannot explain nor reproduce. For example, I've seen cases where my ants sit next to an empty enemy hill and do nothing about it. Such weird things usually happen on multi-hill maps, especially if the hills are close.
dimkadimon
Major-General

Postby dimkadimon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:16 am

dimkadimon
Major-General

Postby Scryer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:17 am

Same problem for me -- ignoring a close enemy hill sometimes in the multi-hill mazes! Why?? Ant psychology seems like a growth industry.

I really wish I had a few more months to explore other ideas and tune them. The tuning bit is a real problem for me: should this variable be 15%, 20%, 30%, 50%, 70%? What about that one over there? If I had a lot more time and a big stable of my own
bots I could run massive tournaments among them and see which came out over a wide range of variables... an analysis of variance to see which variables strongly influence which behaviors. But with such limited time I only have my own bots to run hundreds of games against, and they tend to believe each others' tactical threats where Bugnuts and Alien wouldn't. Even the TCP servers can't get the number of games needed to really tune your variables. But I haven't been able to put the time into tuning parameters because my combat is still crap... it just started to come together a week ago.

Maybe I need to start getting my infrastructure together in pre-beta next time, like several of the top bot writers.
Scryer
Colonel

Postby Zaph » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:24 am

Zaph
Colonel

Next

Return to Strategy