[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - It's 2am, do you know what your code is doing ?

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:48 am Advanced search

It's 2am, do you know what your code is doing ?

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Re: It's 2am, do you know what your code is doing ?

Postby Zaph » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:21 am

Zaph
Colonel

Postby BenJackson » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:49 pm

BenJackson
Colonel

Postby zaphod » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:19 am

Well, newer versions of my bot lose to my older bots a lot of times. On the competition server, I have lost a lot of games because of no defence, but as soon as I add defence to the bot, it seems to lose to my own older bot! I am still wondering how a removal of just 2-3 ants from the batch of 20-30 exploration and food gathering front can cause large scale slowdown in growth!
zaphod
Captain

Postby BenJackson » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:37 am

BenJackson
Colonel

Postby jaman4dbz » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:35 pm

This thread is exactly why i refuse to use a algorithm that uses minmax or sampling for all movement. Things like diffusion maps bother me, because I want to know what my bot is doing.

I've stuck with A* for that reason, but I know you guys get the very great trade off benefit of your bots being in the top positions =\.

Tl;DR I know exactly what every single one of my ants is doing and why.
jaman4dbz
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby bluebull » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:46 am

I know what my code is doing- it's crashing a lot! :(
Had no time to fully test it and wrote the last version of my bot in the final hours of the submission.
Oh and the bot should have a console. It's impossible to debug. I was so mad when I failed to understand what causes few bugs last night.
bluebull
Cadet

Postby DrClaes » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:42 am

I thought I knew something about the monster I created... then in my first finals game it timed out... I ran the game data at home, found it to be just as slow on my computer, and traced it to a method which I don't even use the result of any more, which I've commented as "Too slow, fix later" back in October and then forgotten completely about :-)... I just eliminated the call to that method and my bot is 4 times faster... I guess someeone should have spent more time debugging and less time dreaming about cool neural networks... oh well, I've settled for my bot as "proof of concept" and I'm happy enough with it that it's a good stepping stone for future projects regardless of silly errors like this. I was never a contestant for the top 100, so all in all it's ok....
DrClaes
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Darhuuk » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Darhuuk
Colonel

Postby DrClaes » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:18 pm

My exact wording of the comment was: "Insertion sort: too slow, fix later", and that was back when I was using a linked list. Then, for performance reasons elsewhere, I switched to ArrayLists, which don't handle insertions nicely... this explains my inexplicable first-turn timeouts very well, since it has to do with detecting the edge of known space.

Oh well, I kicked ass in my second game, so maybe I'll do OK if I don't run into the wrong maps along the way... judging by the past month of play, I might time out 20% or so....
DrClaes
Lieutenant-Colonel

Previous

Return to Strategy