[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - It's 2am, do you know what your code is doing ?

It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:26 pm Advanced search

It's 2am, do you know what your code is doing ?

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Re: It's 2am, do you know what your code is doing ?

Postby a1k0n » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:53 pm

Yeah, GreenTea's bot is definitely better than mine. Memetix's bot is "broadly comparable" with mine. *shakes fist at Memetix*
a1k0n
Colonel

Postby tomb » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:26 pm

I also have had the problem where I fix a bug and suddenly my Bot performs worse. Part of the problem is that I did not maintain the code very well and I have remnants of old ideas all over the place. At this point I think my time is better used tuning parameters rather than cleaning up old code.

My code still contains lots of small bugs (ants?), that I have been unable to pin down and fix. They are driving me absolutely crazy. Anting has taken over my life. This week at work has been 50% ants, 50% work. Which is not good, especially considering that I am not a software developer.
tomb
Lieutenant

Postby agent_smith » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:35 pm

Just yesterday I went on to debug what I had written the day before, with a goal for starters to find out if the new code actually is doing something. I found out it wasn't :o

So I did some debugging and after a while I thought: "this is too complicated". So I threw it off and decided to try some simpler ideas and if time permits, code the thing by the book.

As far as final scores go, GreenTea is a notable newcomer and xathis' new bot a very strong contender. I think it's too early to bid now, I bet some people are preparing a surprise.
agent_smith
Colonel

Postby Parasprites » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:11 pm

I'm preparing a surprise. At the last minute, I'll come up with an awesome new bot that takes 75th place instead of 76th.
Parasprites
Major-General

Postby agent_smith » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:16 pm

agent_smith
Colonel

Postby LoneWolf » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:26 pm

At first I knew, but then I didnt.

And now? Well I sort of know, but sometimes looks like black magic.

I too had cases where I fix a bug and suddenly its worse.
LoneWolf
Lieutenant

Postby Zedenstein » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:39 pm

I've given up on fixing bugs; just tweaking constants now. And I think I finally am rid of these damned timeouts (1/24 recently, and it was a first-turn one). Interestingly, my bot seems quite skilled at sniping hills (i.e. camping out near one until it stops spawning and then going in for the kill). That was not at all intended, but I'm not complaining.
Zedenstein
Captain

Postby Memetix » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:02 pm

I now know what my code is doing!
Why? Because I found a crazy bug and fixed it. I was supposed to sending 2 more ants than the enemy had when attacking and I found my code was sending 2 more ants than I currently had (i.e. I was using myAnts rather than enemyAnts in the formula). With great optimism I sent my fixed bot to play on fluxid and very quickly dropped from 4th place to 10th as my ants got crushed by all-comers. What had I done wrong? It turns out nothing, the new code was fine, just nowhere near as good as the old code.
My code is no longer a set of routines, it has become a complex system and "fixing" one part has a knock on effect on other parts of the system, often in unexpected ways.
So it turns out I don't know what my code is doing after all.

Hold on, I've just found another bug in the code, this one will be the one to make it all better ... :oops:

Good luck everyone in the last few days of the competition. I'm flattered to be included in a potential top 5 list. I bow down to Xathis and his amazing win ratio.

I'm looking forward to getting my life back soon ....
Memetix
Major

Postby codetiger » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:19 pm

codetiger
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby agent_smith » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:52 pm

It sucks when your new, "improved" bot is beaten by the old one, especially when you put a lot of effort into making the new version.

Memetix, I thought you were happily retired. You are not developing your bot, are you? :shock:

BTW, what's the deadline for submissions?
agent_smith
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Strategy