It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:46 am Advanced search

Hexapodia as the key insight?

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Hexapodia as the key insight?

Postby Scryer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:06 pm

To what extent does the ant metaphor influence your design? I've noticed that a few design postings have talked about "pheromones" for pathing, but it seems to me that the most successful bots tend to spread out their ants, avoiding them rather than following their trails, and that lines of ants (in my case, anyway) is primarily a result of the rook-wise connections. I suspect I'd get much less of that particular emergent behavior on a hexagonal board. Perhaps the environmental differences (one-shot food sources rather than a large scarab corpse, instantaneous global information transfer) make traditional ant strategies irrelevant.
Scryer
Colonel

Re: Hexapodia as the key insight?

Postby DrClaes » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:24 pm

I've been thinking about that too; my biggest step in developing my bot was in moving away from individual-ants-as-objects to a main framework of the "map"/world as the main object, with really stupid, memory-less ants. I took a lot of hints from the "anti-objects" paper that's referenced in the collaborative diffusion thread.

I did have a "scent" matrix to facilitate dispersion (moving to the square with the lowest scent) (still do, since my code is a mess of discarded "good ideas") but moved away from that in favor of a "distance-to-edge" matrix which I update as the edge of explored space grows.

The more I've played with the code, the further I've moved away from the ant metaphor and towards the hivemind one.

/C
DrClaes
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Hexapodia as the key insight?

Postby carlos.guia » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:26 pm

The ants metaphor didn't directly influence my functional design, however, it did influence my code and my thought process. For example, the central class that makes all decisions is called Queen, and every order that is given to an ant comes from the Queen and has been thought solely to make the Queen happier.
carlos.guia
Lieutenant

Return to Strategy