[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - AI Challenge and Getting a Job

It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:12 pm Advanced search

AI Challenge and Getting a Job

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

AI Challenge and Getting a Job

Postby BenJackson » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:24 pm

BenJackson
Colonel

Re: AI Challenge and Getting a Job

Postby ChrisH » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:42 pm

I have also participated in the hiring process for many developers or technical staff. I have done technical screening by phone before we brought them in for an interview, in person interviews, and helped make the final hiring decision. In all cases I was also going to end up working side by side with whoever we hired as I am first and foremost a software engineer.

I agree 100% with BenJackson. All of the points he makes are exactly the types of things I look for when deciding if an individual should be considered for a software development job. Especially the parts about someone who has taken the initiative to teach themselves new skills and who is passionate about software development, but the candidate must also be able to explain to me how some software that they wrote (or helped write) actually works.

Participating in the AI Contest helps on all of these points.
ChrisH
Colonel

Postby skuto » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:00 am

As someone who had to interview and make hiring calls, I'd "third" this position. Participating here shows that you like programming and are interested in evaluating and improving your skills, rather than having studied it because you thought it would get you a job.

Problem-solving skills and real programming experience outside exercises will help you if the hiring process includes programming tests. It's very easy to tell someone who has experience writing code from someone who doesn't. (For the same reason, participating in open source projects helps)

Your ranking here is much harder to make a conclusion on, because in general the person making the hiring call won't know the level of aichallenge participants. Stating it the way BenJackson stated it sounds great to me.

And for the love of god, if you are fresh out of school, DO put this on your resume somewhere. I've had many starters send resumes that didn't list any experience, when the interview clearly showed they had done this kind of hobby projects. They didn't list it because they didn't think it "counts". Nobody "counts", we only care what you did and can do!
skuto
Captain

Postby jaman4dbz » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:40 pm

I just want to say, for someone who has a very shitty job right now, this is very encouraging.

I will definitely take the percentage advice ;). Last year when i was applying to jobs I was telling people I got in the top 1000 and at one point was in the top 200 and I realized that sounded awful. If I used percentages it would have sounded a lot better.

This time around I can hopefully at least maintain my position in the top 500, as long as I make equal improvements to everyone else in these last hours.

TL;DR: thanks, this is encouraging for people who will be looking for jobs in the future.
jaman4dbz
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Zaph » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:20 pm

Zaph
Colonel

Postby Scryer » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:28 pm

I like Zaph's list of questions, to which I would add:

- How did you choose the language you used for this challenge? Was it a new language to you?
Scryer
Colonel

Postby raver1975 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:09 am

Anyone want to hire me?

I'm 36 and never worked a real corporate in my life. (Yeah I know, it's crazy.)
I'm a self taught Java and Internet programmer, and I have no idea how to put together a resume or interview.

Any help, tips, or leads would be great. Please Help! What does one put on a resume when they have no schooling or work history?
I'm in desperate need of income at the moment...Otherwise soon I'll be the scary homeless programmer always lurking around the library.

As of right now I'm 336 on the board and rising, my newest version is still settling in the ranks.

I did just finish the Stanford machine learning class with 100% and the Artificial intelligence class.

I have two featured Hackaday.com pojects:
http://hackaday.com/2011/08/29/mindflex ... ght-alone/
http://hackaday.com/2010/05/06/pc-side-im-me-hacks/

I have 17 Android apps in the marketplace, but nothing extremely special or profitable:
https://market.android.com/search?q=klemstine

And I just finished the Ludum Dare 48 hour game design competition an hour ago:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19401902/LD22/index.html
raver1975
Cadet

Postby amstan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:30 am

Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Postby raver1975 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:39 am

Yes, Notch of Minecraft fame participates in the Ludum Dare.
In fact, here is his game he just made this weekend:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ld48/ld22/index.html

Congrats on the Hackaday posts, it is quite an accomplishment to be honored like that.
raver1975
Cadet

Postby Minthos » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:04 pm

Minthos
Cadet

Return to Strategy