[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Who do you think will be on the top 5?

It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:25 pm Advanced search

Who do you think will be on the top 5?

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Who do you think will be on the top 5?

Postby TwistedLogic » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:33 am

Who do you think has the best strategy and will get into the top 5?

Here's my list:

1. xathis - slow but sure. it tries to have control of the map and is very strong in the endgame. it will try to outflank the enemy in battle. when fighting toe to toe with other bots it tries to add another ant in the end of the line to eventually encircle the enemy. it is a refined and well tuned bot.

http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... &user=4513

2. GreeanTea - aggressive in razing hills. pushes and put constant pressures in deadlocks and will send reinforcement if necessary. tries to have control of the map.

http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... 3&user=398

3. FlagCapper - this bot dominates the tcp servers for months as A and Q. this is a very strong endgame bot. it tends to control the map and slowly overwhelms by number.

http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... 01&user=31

4. Memetix - this bot has a tendency to breakthrough in a deadlock. doesn't hesitate to sacrifice ants to gain control of territory and the map.

http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... &user=5592

5. BenJackson - this bot has a tendency to push enemy ants away from it's hill, controlling more territory in return, and overwhelms the enemy with constant pressure to raze the hill.

http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... &user=3473

Possible bots to get into the top 5 also:

pguillory - this was a strong bot a few couple of weeks before the finals but loses steam and didn't re-upload. the fighting style mimics xathis.

http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... 8&user=589

a1k0n - this has a simple and brilliant implementation but would be beaten by knowledge-based bots. tends to form a swarm when attacking the enemy hill. (I've managed to implement something like this less than a week before the finals but haven't had the time to test and tune it more, I like the simple and effective technique of this bot).

http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... 9&user=432

ChrisH - this implements a lot of good techniques like mini-max for combat and spawn control on multi-hills. the bot's fighting style seems to focus on micro-battles and less on swarming attack.

http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... 84&user=10

There are other strong bots that may get into the top 5 but I'm not that familiar with them. The bots above I'm more familiar with from the IRC and the forums.
TwistedLogic
Lieutenant

Re: Who do you think will be on the top 5?

Postby MagnumPU » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:53 am

This is an awesome topic. I'm sorry to sound like a n00b, but can you describe what a "controls the map" strategy might entail? Does 'knowledge-based' infer symmetry? What do you think is a good end game? Sorry man, lots of annoying questions.
MagnumPU
Captain

Postby TwistedLogic » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:11 am

TwistedLogic
Lieutenant

Postby BenJackson » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:21 am

Frankly I think I'm not in the top 5, having counted 5 bots I think will finish ahead (xathis, pguillory, ChrisH, FlagCapper, Memetix) I'm just hoping I can't name TEN other bots (hmm, GreenTea, lazarant, delineate, teapotahedron?) so I can in the top 10.

However the set of finals maps has some striking differences from what we've been playing and some are going to sort bots along some pretty narrow criteria. And there are a lot of 2-player random walks which I'm good at.
BenJackson
Colonel

Postby dimkadimon » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:25 am

dimkadimon
Major-General

Postby BenJackson » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:50 am

BenJackson
Colonel

Postby MagnumPU » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:57 am

One of the interesting differences in the maps I've noticed is a big middle area in some of the mazes. What I see happening, at least in the games I watch most, which are close to my ranking, is a lot of food ready for the taking in the middle by the time ants get there, and if you get there first you're in luck. So maybe if you are a little too conservative, keeping ants back near your hill at the beginning, you will be at a disadvantage with these maps. Now I'm talking about simple bots, that's all I know.

Ben, when I was all dreamy about a month ago about what I could accomplish, I thought that would be a great approach, to kind of own territory and expand. It's really pretty seeing that strategy in action.

TwistedLogic, thank you for the explanation, I really appreciate it. I guess what keeps this interesting for everyone is you can learn A* for the first time, or really hone your heuristics and have a good knowledge based bot. I've been watching your games, and it seems to me that your ants are kind of aggressive. Is that right? Is that a fair comment on your strategy? It seems to work out pretty well, you're fun to watch.
MagnumPU
Captain

Postby TwistedLogic » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:51 am

TwistedLogic
Lieutenant

Postby Hippo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:24 am

I agree with your list :). But I disagree that the symmetry detection is not important.
Unfortunately I had not enough time to add any fight search to my bot so it loses ants on cell mazes very quickly.

This is why I should made my bot very agressive not to allow making frontlines against it.
This leads to big loses of my neighbours even when I lose quickly ... so at least I break the ties on most cell mazes forced by low turn limit and easily guardable frontlines.

I do expect my bot is top bot not searching in fights ... all thanks to using symmetry information.
Hippo
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby MagnumPU » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:50 am

It's so close!
MagnumPU
Captain

Next

Return to Strategy