[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Ants - Fog of War

It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:06 am Advanced search

Ants - Fog of War

Topics about starter packages, visualizer or any other third party tools.
Please submit new language requests in the Language Request Forum.

Ants - Fog of War

Postby McLeopold » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:16 pm

Ants can see a distance of 9.7979589711327123927891362988236 units.
McLeopold
Contest Organizer

Re: Ants - Fog of War

Postby dimkadimon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:15 am

Cool animation! Why do you choose this particular distance? I guess the distance must be relative to the size of the map.
dimkadimon
Major-General

Postby delt0r » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:00 pm

The best way to define a "raduis" distance on a grid is in squared units. This avoids rounding and sqrts.

So say viewing distance is 5 then you can see when dx*dx+dy*dy<=25
It was like that when I got here.
delt0r
Colonel

Postby dree12 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:04 am

I hope that the fog-of-war extends across the torus, ie the bordered ant can see the other side (because they should be effectively together). Also, the walls should block it. Otherwise, there aren't any problems with it as far as I can see.
dree12
Lieutenant

Postby antimatroid » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:07 am

delt0r: the vision, battle and spawn radius will be passed to players in a squared format, so if they want to treat it like that they can (I will), but I think it might be easier to just have the sqrt in the starter bots? Assuming we can ensure no rounding errors? Maybe select the radius so that any tiny rounding errors make no difference, might be hard for battle and spawn radius though.

dree12: The fog of war will wrap around the torus, the only reason it didn't for the above example was because the engine that created it wasn't calculating distances correctly for a wrapped edge.

At the moment the "walls" have been renamed "water", and the only thing blocked by water is movement. Vision, battles and spawning can all occur over water.

*Edited for clarity.
Last edited by antimatroid on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
antimatroid
Brigadier-General

Postby dimkadimon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:54 am

It looks like there is a lot of stuff happening behind the scenes (other than the forums). Have the admins already decided that this ants game will be used? I can see about 5 alternative games here that are as interesting as ants, however I haven't seen any official word about them. Am I just wasting my time looking for new game ideas?
dimkadimon
Major-General

Postby antimatroid » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:33 am

I can't speak definitively, but I would be quite surprised if the next contest is not ants. There isn't really any "behind the scenes", but most of the conversations occur on irc as that's easiest.
antimatroid
Brigadier-General

Postby dimkadimon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:49 am

dimkadimon
Major-General

Postby antimatroid » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:04 am

What do you mean there goes your game theory challenge? There is still plenty of relevant game theory ideas I can think of to try out with this game, particularly for ants that are "close" to enemies.

For ants "close" to enemies, I will be trying both n-player game tree (picking strategies here gets stupidly complicated when you can't assume everyone is playing optimally, but it still sounds fun to me) or tensor representations and playing around with different algorithms for picking which strategy to go with etc. etc. Then you have a whole other side for where to send ants, how much to spread out to see replenishing food/oncoming enemies as well as bunching up for offense etc. etc. There's also some really neat little algorithms people can play around with for shortest paths and who can access where first etc.
antimatroid
Brigadier-General

Postby dimkadimon » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:43 am

dimkadimon
Major-General

Next

Return to Starter Packages & Tools