[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Haskell Starter Pack Array Performance

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:43 pm Advanced search

Haskell Starter Pack Array Performance

Topics about starter packages, visualizer or any other third party tools.
Please submit new language requests in the Language Request Forum.

Haskell Starter Pack Array Performance

Postby grokodile » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:47 am

I kept timing out. Investigated, and it seems that the large amount of array updating in the Haskell Starter Pack was costing me heaps of time. Using a much simplified but impoverished representation now, and it is running much faster.

I guess the array isn't really "updated" but a new modified array created each time, so perhaps this is the problem. Any input on smart ways to maintain the data efficiently? (Input along the lines of "use Java" will be politely ignored.)

I'm also happy to share what I have if any Haskellers even more clueless than me are having similar troubles, so long as this isn't against the spirit of the competition.
grokodile
Lieutenant

Re: Haskell Starter Pack Array Performance

Postby Janzert » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:47 am

So long as you don't share code that goes beyond the functionality of the starter bot it'll be fine (e.g. a reimplementation of the starter bot is fine, one that gathers food is not). Any code that goes beyond the starter bot capability we ask that you wait until after submissions close to share.
Janzert
Contest Organizer

Postby tmc » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:43 am

Oh, that sounds much more restrictive than what's on the website: "we encourage people not to share code that specifically implements anything related to the moves a bot would make". It sounds like you're asking people not to share utility code either, such as to detect map symmetries.
tmc
Brigadier-General

Postby grokodile » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:27 pm

"Functionality of the starter pack" is a much clearer rule than "anything related to ant movements". I found the latter vague, and it seems tmc did not read it the way it was intended. I suggest you use the starter-pack rule on the web-site. Anyhow, thanks for the clarification.
grokodile
Lieutenant

Postby Janzert » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:08 pm

I've changed it to use the wording above that is hopefully clearer and closer to our intent.
Janzert
Contest Organizer

Postby comonad » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:52 am

comonad
Cadet

Postby grokodile » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:19 pm

I will be very interested after the competition to see any functional code and techniques that you comonad, or any other clueful coders care to share. I've switched to C for now, but this is clearly not the Right Thing (tm).
grokodile
Lieutenant

Return to Starter Packages & Tools