[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - What reasons could my bot just stop for?

It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:49 am Advanced search

What reasons could my bot just stop for?

Topics about starter packages, visualizer or any other third party tools.
Please submit new language requests in the Language Request Forum.

What reasons could my bot just stop for?

Postby frobalt » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:04 am

I'm confused...I've observed 2 games where my bot just stops. Not caused by timesouts. Well, not at first anyway.

Running on my machine I've never had my bot just plain stop on me, anyone have any idea what could be causing it?

Could it be the timeremaining variable not updating correctly or something?

Here's an example game, where 100s of turns pass after the 'crash' before it times out.

frobalt
Colonel

Re: What reasons could my bot just stop for?

Postby dimkadimon » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:24 am

Your bot could stop for other reasons than timeout. For example, if your ants only move if they can see food and you don't see any food then your ants will do nothing. My previous bot used to explore the map by going towards unseen areas of the map. However, once all the areas of the map have been explored my bot used to stop and do nothing. It is also possible that these events don't occur when you are testing locally, since locally you are probably playing against weaker bots and the game ends much faster.
dimkadimon
Major-General

Postby frobalt » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:09 am

No, that's not the case.

My bot will first try and attack a hill if in range, or go for food if it has food assigned to it, or it will work out which tile surrounding it has been visited least times and move there.

So at the very least it should move one ant.

What confuses me is the fact that:

1. it still timed out despite 'crashing'....means it must have been trying to compute stuff
2. it timed out at all....i mean, it wasn't moving surely the only new information it could have been getting is when enemy ants move into my view range

Edit: If something went truly wrong with the code, surely it should be just flat out crashing rather than all the ants not moving?

Edit 2: I just ran that map on my computer, having made no changes to the bot since i uploaded it. Not only ran smoothly, i was quickly able to destroy the mix of hunter bots and greedy bots. So shouldn't be my code.
frobalt
Colonel

Postby frobalt » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:17 pm

Incidentally, it's played 2 games since and didn't freeze in either of them.
frobalt
Colonel

Postby BenJackson » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

If your bot honors the "player seed" (or no seed, or uses no random numbers) then you can extract the replay from the game (from the replay visualizer) and see exactly what your bot was doing.
BenJackson
Colonel

Postby frobalt » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:04 pm

frobalt
Colonel

Postby BenJackson » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Just save the extracted turn data from the visualizer (lower right button) and pipe it into your bot. You should see a series of output moves.

If it stops, there's your problem!
BenJackson
Colonel

Postby frobalt » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:21 pm

Might sound like a stupid question, but how do i put that input in my bot?
frobalt
Colonel

Postby pedrosorio » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:35 am

On the command line:

> Command_to_run_your_bot < inputfile

This will make your bot output exactly the same it did in response to that input in the game.
pedrosorio
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby frobalt » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:23 am

Did that on the same map I played on, and it didn't crash.
frobalt
Colonel

Next

Return to Starter Packages & Tools