It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:14 pm Advanced search

Timeouts on or before first turn

Topics about starter packages, visualizer or any other third party tools.
Please submit new language requests in the Language Request Forum.

Timeouts on or before first turn

Postby bigtymler » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:21 am

Does anyone have any idea on why a bot would timeout when running the test_bot on or before the first turn? and this only happens sometimes, if I compile it multiple times it'll work 1 out of every 5 times so I'm not exactly sure whats causing the time out...

output
turn 1 bot 0 timed out

any help would be appreciated... thank you

edit: I'm using the c++ starter package if that helps any

edit2: sorry, the output of the error is acutally "turn 1 bot 0 timed out" fixed it above
Last edited by bigtymler on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigtymler
Cadet

Re: Timeouts on or before first turn

Postby bigtymler » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:10 pm

So after much tinkering i noticed something when I messed around with the command line in the test_bot.cmd

when the command line was
"@echo off
playgame.py --engine_seed 42 --player_seed 42 --food none --end_wait=0.25 --verbose --log_dir game_logs --turns 30 --map_file submission_test/test.map %1 "python submission_test/TestBot.py" "mybot address here" -e --nolaunch --strict --capture_errors"
it'd time out 99 out of 100 times (I assume this makes the testbot, bot 0)

BUT when I tried
"@echo off
playgame.py --engine_seed 42 --player_seed 42 --food none --end_wait=0.25 --verbose --log_dir game_logs --turns 30 --map_file submission_test/test.map %1 "mybot address here" "python submission_test/TestBot.py" -e --nolaunch --strict --capture_errors"
it would NEVER timeout (i assume this makes my bot, bot 0)

Which raises me to ask, when I upload my files, is my bot loaded before the test bot? or after? and could there be a possibility that the testbot.py is corrupted or something?
bigtymler
Cadet

Re: Timeouts on or before first turn

Postby Janzert » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:06 pm

By switching the order of the bots you're switching which player position you occupy on the test map. Probably your bot is unable to handle one of the positions in the test map properly. My guess would be most likely it is the spot where your ant is completely blocked in.
Janzert
Contest Organizer

Return to Starter Packages & Tools